Merlot from $15 and Under

A collection of fantastic value Merlots

Merlot $15 and Under

Bonterra Vineyards Merlot Mendocino County (2008)
List It
Jacuzzi Family Vineyards Carneros Estate Merlot (2008)
List It
Concha Y Toro Merlot Casillero del Diablo (2010)
List It
Estancia Central Coast Merlot (2009)
List It
Wilson Daniels Merlot Central Coast Merlot Ca (2010)
List It
Kenwood Merlot (2009)
List It
J. Lohr Estates Los Osos Merlot (2009)
List It
Bogle Vineyards Merlot California (2009)
List It
Parducci Small Lot Blend Merlot (2009)
List It
10.
Francis Co Shiraz (2008)
List It
11.
Woodbridge By Robert Mondavi Cabernet-Merlot California (2010)
List It

Comments

• Snooth User: Santiago53

I like your experiment. The quick notes formula is great for scanning the essentials of a wine and getting an idea of what's in it, e.g. Oak: medium-low is great way for those of us who share your aversion to over-oaking to note if the wine is an attractive candidate.

Good work. I hope other reviewers take note of this approach.

Oct 02, 2012 at 6:01 PM

• Snooth User: bowriver

I agree with Santiago about the new note format; very informative & quick to read.

Oct 02, 2012 at 7:07 PM

• Snooth User: Zaffiro

The most useful descriptions I've ever read on a wine review. Kudos!

Oct 02, 2012 at 7:25 PM

• Snooth User: Toms46

As the old philosopher said "Keep it simple". I like the look!!

Oct 02, 2012 at 10:43 PM

• What i would do is have links to the traits that explain what each one means with a quick definition of the trait's 'level'. For example, define "oak" and "medium-low" vs. "medium" or "high" and what this means in reality/plain English. This will help a wine dummy begin to appreciate and use the terms and help them actually use this guidence.

Oct 03, 2012 at 4:25 AM

• Snooth User: Micael

Great initiative Greg. I love the descriptions and the consumer friendly way to evaluate the wines.

Congratulations!

Oct 03, 2012 at 8:03 AM

• Snooth User: JLCr

As a wine "dummy" as described above - the thought of being able to click to get a generic description of what each trait is and what impact it has on the taste would be a great primer as I purchase the various wines you critique and explore your descriptions with my experience. Thanks for making it simpler!!!!!!!

Oct 03, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Awesome feedback folks. I'm excited to be on what seems to be the right path for making wine simpler and easier to appreciate! Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Oct 03, 2012 at 11:13 AM

• Snooth User: EMark

I guess I FUBARed the comment that I tried to leave, yesterday. I very much appreciate the new reporting scheme. I have a question on the "Tannins" metric. I'm OK with "Soft" and "Medium," but a tad confused with "Drying." Would "Drying" indicate more tannic than "Medium?"

Oct 03, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Drying is more a reference to the quality of the tannin than the quantity. I have to make sure I list both in the future. Thanks for the question.

Oct 03, 2012 at 3:22 PM

• If you are a wine lover you will understand about the quick notes I disagreed. As my Grandpa said, talk about wines is as talk about woman: you have to describe how she looks, how she smells, how she taste. Size her as small, medium or large doesnt tell us to much. Thats why we have to learn more from europeans and southamericans (european school of wine). Among wines I prefer notes as elegant, fresh, young, smooth, round, large end at mouth, black or green pepper, chery, strawberry, pineapple, chocolate or plums, french or america oak, leather or mineral. Remember that frenches catalogue the merlot as the "sexy" vineyard. Don´t be to short to describe it pls. Tks.

Oct 06, 2012 at 12:27 AM

• Snooth User: zufrieden

For the average drinker, the objective is to find something tasty and affordable. A two-stage system of reviews might be quite useful in that the person seeking to understand the basic features of a wine can arrive at a buying decision without foppery and histrionics, while the more obsessive aficionado can still indulge in some poetic license. If the objective is to delineate the skeletal from the fleshy, then perhaps there is merit in providing a Reader's Digest style review - assuming the full-on version is also available...

Oct 06, 2012 at 10:11 PM

• Snooth User: liamok

I'm confused ... are you talking about Woodbridge Merlot or Cabernet-Merlot?

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:14 PM

• Snooth User: db157

what is great in this simplified structure for begginers like myself is to have these set of properties evaluated on wines as we go along. Over time we end up with map of wines with same or similar properties so one can look at "similar" wines based on his/hers favourite wine and grow the bucket list, explore... Allows us to try things beyond geography,time and points. Great idea. Let me know if you'd like me to demo the mapping/clustering idea in practice

Nov 09, 2012 at 1:02 AM