Luck of the Drive: Traveling in Sonoma

A straightforward review on where to eat and stay in town

« Prev Next » 3 of 5
Burger Battles

I’ve been on a bit of burger discovery mission since earlier this year, when I had a superb burger from the Prather Ranch outlet in the Ferry Building in San Francisco. Of course, not everybody can do a burger quite that well. Case in point: Healdsburger. With a cute name and a folksy old location on the outskirts of Healdsburg, I had high hopes for Healdsburger, and truth be known their burger is pretty darn tasty, if only they could cook them correctly. I dined at Healdsburger twice, once with a friend, and out of the three total requests for medium rare we were only able to get the burger cooked correctly once; the other two times it was overcooked. I’m not that fussy, so I ate the burgers regardless, and they were mighty tasty. But if you’re a stickler when it comes to your burger then you might not be happy here. One side note: the fries, truly fresh cut, were delicious, not crispy (fresh cut fries hardly ever are) but properly cooked with excellent flavor.

48 Healdsburg Avenue
Healdsburg, CA 95448

Comments

• Snooth User: steve666

Sonoma County is really huge and it has a variety of viticultural areas from vineyards next to the coast producing excellent Pinots to rock soils at Rockpile and to fertile valley floors that are very sunny and hot during the days but cool off at night. It also has wonderful areas to bike ride, beautiful beaches and cliffs with pounding surf. And nothing beats sunrise amidst the vines. It is cheaper than Napa for lodging, particularly in the less well known areas along the coasts and in some interior valleys. Oh, the wines are pretty damn good too.

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:20 PM

• Snooth User: InWineTruth
    220106 1,634

We like the Farmhouse Inn of Forestville, and the Hotel La Rose in downtown Santa Rosa for style and convenience. Phyllis Giant Burger on the Sonoma Hwy, with another location on Piner Road near Carol Shelton Wines are also good meaty, wipe your chin chomps.

Mar 11, 2013 at 7:11 PM

• Snooth User: tahoekr

A caption on the page 2 photo would be nice. Is it the Dry Creek Inn or Sonoma Creek Inn?

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:24 PM

• Just returned from a week in Sonoma, staying in the Courtyard Marriott in historic Railroad Square, a nice hotel with good ameneties and central to everything in Sonoma. Also walking distance to some very good restaurants such as Stark's Steakhouse (affiliated with Willy's), Jackson's and many others where you can get an ice cold martini or a nice bourbon (last thing I want at the end of a day of wine tasting is wine) as well as great food. Zazu is a great spot for a meal (best bacon around). Any of the mexican taquerias are really good. And get yourself down to Tomales for Oysters (Hogs Head, Marshalls, or Tomales Oyster Farm).

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:08 PM

• Snooth User: sesala

Next month we are headed to the Sonoma Valley for the second time. I can't say enough about VRBO (Vacation Rentals By Owner). We found a very reasonably priced two bedroom cottage on a vineyard near Windsor. And thanks to Snooth, one of the wineries on our agenda is Talty.

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:11 PM

• Snooth User: wineozach

I just returned from 1 day in Napa and 1 day in Sonoma. I am in love with Sonoma now. It's less pretentious and more intimate. We stayed just outside of Santa Rosa in a beautiful little town nestled in the redwoods. The Occidental Inn was a beautiful place to stay and it wasn't to far off the beaten path. We fell in love with an amazing and unique winery. Lambert Bridge's wine was the BEST wine I've had in the last year, and I have had a lot since I am a wine blogger. Jordan was awesome and we worth the visit. The last winery we visited was Robert Young Estate Winery. It was recommended by our tour guide at Jordan. I recommend all of the wineries and especially Lambert Bridge.

Mar 19, 2013 at 9:50 PM