Luck of the Drive: Traveling in Sonoma

A straightforward review on where to eat and stay in town

« Prev Next » 2 of 5
Where to Stay

I’ve already mentioned the Dry Creek Inn in Healdsburg, and while it can be a bit of a pain, at least their vintage rooms, those in the Tuscan wing are rather a step up in luxury and appointments. It does offer terrific value and a great location, right off the freeway, a mile or so from the center of town.

I always try someplace new when I return to a region I’ve visited before, and on this trip I checked out the Sonoma Creek Inn, a few miles from downtown Sonoma. This kind of old school motor inn has potential, with clean (if small) rooms and large bathrooms with terrific water pressure. I get the feeling that things are on the upswing here; most of the rooms have a comfy private little patio, though there is a fairly busy road just over the wall. There’s nothing really close by except for the attached Creekside Café, which puts together a fine breakfast. If you don’t mind being out the way and are tolerant of some traffic noise, this could be a good value-priced option for you. Otherwise, keep looking.

239 Boyes Boulevard
Sonoma, CA 95476

Comments

• Snooth User: steve666

Sonoma County is really huge and it has a variety of viticultural areas from vineyards next to the coast producing excellent Pinots to rock soils at Rockpile and to fertile valley floors that are very sunny and hot during the days but cool off at night. It also has wonderful areas to bike ride, beautiful beaches and cliffs with pounding surf. And nothing beats sunrise amidst the vines. It is cheaper than Napa for lodging, particularly in the less well known areas along the coasts and in some interior valleys. Oh, the wines are pretty damn good too.

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:20 PM

• Snooth User: InWineTruth
    220106 1,634

We like the Farmhouse Inn of Forestville, and the Hotel La Rose in downtown Santa Rosa for style and convenience. Phyllis Giant Burger on the Sonoma Hwy, with another location on Piner Road near Carol Shelton Wines are also good meaty, wipe your chin chomps.

Mar 11, 2013 at 7:11 PM

• Snooth User: tahoekr

A caption on the page 2 photo would be nice. Is it the Dry Creek Inn or Sonoma Creek Inn?

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:24 PM

• Just returned from a week in Sonoma, staying in the Courtyard Marriott in historic Railroad Square, a nice hotel with good ameneties and central to everything in Sonoma. Also walking distance to some very good restaurants such as Stark's Steakhouse (affiliated with Willy's), Jackson's and many others where you can get an ice cold martini or a nice bourbon (last thing I want at the end of a day of wine tasting is wine) as well as great food. Zazu is a great spot for a meal (best bacon around). Any of the mexican taquerias are really good. And get yourself down to Tomales for Oysters (Hogs Head, Marshalls, or Tomales Oyster Farm).

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:08 PM

• Snooth User: sesala

Next month we are headed to the Sonoma Valley for the second time. I can't say enough about VRBO (Vacation Rentals By Owner). We found a very reasonably priced two bedroom cottage on a vineyard near Windsor. And thanks to Snooth, one of the wineries on our agenda is Talty.

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:11 PM

• Snooth User: wineozach

I just returned from 1 day in Napa and 1 day in Sonoma. I am in love with Sonoma now. It's less pretentious and more intimate. We stayed just outside of Santa Rosa in a beautiful little town nestled in the redwoods. The Occidental Inn was a beautiful place to stay and it wasn't to far off the beaten path. We fell in love with an amazing and unique winery. Lambert Bridge's wine was the BEST wine I've had in the last year, and I have had a lot since I am a wine blogger. Jordan was awesome and we worth the visit. The last winery we visited was Robert Young Estate Winery. It was recommended by our tour guide at Jordan. I recommend all of the wineries and especially Lambert Bridge.

Mar 19, 2013 at 9:50 PM