Italy in Nine Parts: Greve in Chianti

Modest accomodations and hearty fare

After having had a hearty breakfast and a pair of sandwiches for lunch (Falorni’s Prosciutto di Cinta and Salame con Chinghiale that I am still missing!)  I was in the mood for something a little lighter. A salad, pizza and a beer sounded just about perfect.

La Cantina is a fairly bustling place, doing a brisk business in carry out pizza, but with a lovely, full service dining room ready for visitors. Once again though, I opted to sit outside and enjoy these last (almost) warm evenings of the year.   Service here was attentive and the portions huge by Italian standards. My salad of lettuce, arugula, Gorgonzola, anchovies and olives could easily have been split between two people, and made a fine starter.

The pizza, a Quattro stagione which includes olives, artichokes, ham and mushrooms, was equally large. It hung perilously over the plate though its crisp, and virtually paperthin, crust offering plenty of support. While ample, the pizza was only partially satisfying. The crust was simply too thin and too crisp, lacking the chewy texture that makes the best pizzas standout.

All in all, La Cantina offers good value with it’s fairly priced, and amply proportioned dishes, but I would not return for the pizza.  The pizza was so large that I could not finish it. I did however finish my beer, or two, and headed out for an evening stroll around town. Like most Italian towns, things were very quiet once I moved off the main Piazza. I strolled around the back of the Santa Croce church and watched the rhythm of small town life in Italy pass by as I listened to water cascading from the embrace of a nearby sculpture.

Satisfied and soothed I contemplated my next move, to Montepulciano, and the wonders of their Vino Nobile. I realized how busy my day was going to be , and knew my time would be better spent resting up, so back to the Albergo I went. Greve in Chianti is a lovely town, and I didn’t even hit some of their most famous restaurants. That will have to wait for another day, which I am already looking forward to.

Did you miss the other articles in this series?

Find them here.

Part One: Arrival and Montalcino

Part Three: Tasting Chianti in Chianti

Part Four: The Hilltop Village of Montepulciano

Part Five: The Wines of Montepulciano

Contucci

Boscarelli

Avignonesi

Part Six: Driving and Dining in Umbria

Part Seven: The Sagrantino of Montefalco - Adanti

Antonelli

Colsanto

Part Eight: Orvieto

prev 1 2

Comments

• Snooth User: brezza65

Gregory,
    In 2004, I'm almost positive I went to the very same Enoteca Fuori Piazza when I was in Greve. I had tasted so much wine in the previous week that I literally could not take it any more, so that day became "beer and bruschetta" day. A nice Moretti "alla spina" (on tap) and bruschetta with so much olive oil on it, it ran down my chin with every bite. That is heaven. Love Chianti - thanks for bringing back such fond memories!Bruce

Dec 03, 2009 at 11:51 AM

• Snooth User: dalberts

We were there in 2005 and had the most incredible meatballs in a tiny place on the square. We were ruined for meatballs. We went back last year and couldn't remember the name of the place but we knew it was in the square with the statue of Verrezano. Finally found it and they were closed! So disappointed...

Dec 03, 2009 at 1:54 PM

• Snooth User: randy13

I have traveled extensively thru Italy for many years, however, it is Tuscany where my heart is.
    Was married in a little hilltown, Monte san Savino, a charming place.
    Everytime I see your emails pop up(especially Italy) I just stop work and daydream!

Thanks

Dec 03, 2009 at 1:57 PM

• Snooth User: Philip James
    Founding Member Hand of Snooth Voice of Snooth

Randy - great comment, that's EXACTLY the kind of feeling we'd like our emails to generate!

Dec 03, 2009 at 2:24 PM

• Snooth User: darbenn

We were there in Sept for my best friends 50th birthday. What a beautiful little town, delicious food and fantastic wine. I wish we could have stayed there for the entire trip. We also have a very good friend who lives in Reggio Emilia that made fried zuccini flowers for us a few years ago, when we left the restaurant in the square I saw that they too were serving them, but they had just ran out. If you ever have the chance, try them. They are fabulous!!!!

Dec 03, 2009 at 6:26 PM

• Snooth User: baribig

I was just there in August. I drink nothing but Italian wines (I am Italian, haha), I learned so much about Italian wines at La Cantina di Greve from our driver and tour guide Max. I need to go back soon!

Dec 03, 2009 at 8:29 PM

• Snooth User: cigarman168

Nothing to say just want to go there asap.

Dec 03, 2009 at 9:52 PM

• Snooth User: winejap

Gregory,
    It was wonderful to to read your article on Greve, one of our favorite places in Italy. What a charming town with one of the most fabulous Fattoria's in Toscana. Trust me, my husband & I have been in the wine business for over 30 years and we do love our wine and food. For anyone fortunate enough to travel to Greve, you must visit Sandro and Nicoletta Landini, the owners and winemakers of Fattoria Viticcio. The wines are truly amazing!!!! They also run a bed & breakfast with beautiful accomodations that have great views of the hills of Tuscany. Oh, to be there now! Please stop by and try the wines and while you're there, don't forget to taste the olive oil also. A place you will never want to leave and dream of often when you are forced to return home and to reality! Enjoy!!!

Dec 03, 2009 at 10:12 PM

• Snooth User: kkerkgrom

We stumbled into Le Cantine di Greve on a brisk, rainy October ('06) afternoon. We were hungry and getting wetter by the moment. Most of the restaurants appeared to have just closed after the lunch period, so we stopped at the I. And there it was - and it was open. So down we went and I felt like Alice and what a Wonderland for any wine aficionado to fall into! Having purchased a preloaded tasting card, we were able to try whatever we pleased when we were ready. In addition to measured wine pours, we used our cards for plates of anti pasti and measured pours of olive oils or balsamic vinegar. While enjoying wine, tuscan bread with a drizzle of sweet balsamic and the anti pasti plates, we met and exchanged tips about other good stop with other travelers who'd happened into Le Cantine.

If you're ever in Greve, don't miss Le Cantine! I can't wait for an opportunity to return!

Dec 03, 2009 at 10:21 PM

• Snooth User: Eric Guido

You certainly made me hungry for italian dried meats. Man, that looks like you had a good time. I'm glad you like the 2006 Querciabella Chianti Classico, that's one of my favorite Chianti from 2006. Great stuff.

Can't wait for the next installment.

THANKS

Dec 03, 2009 at 10:35 PM

• Snooth User: staffordj

I live in Greve in Chianti, now for 15 years. Actualy I live in Panzano in Chianti. Moved here from NYC. Big change!! Some of the best wines in Italy come from Panzano, including Rampolla, La Massa and especially Casaloste. Stop by for wine tasting anytime. Try the restaurant Mangiando Mangiando in the square of Greve and also visit the meat market Falorni, both owned by the same owner as Le Cantine.

Dec 04, 2009 at 2:41 AM

• Snooth User: bigcubfan

My wife and I spent twelve days in Tuscany in May of this year. It was the hottest May in over 25 years, which forced me to drink a little more white wines that usual. But it was sunny and beautiful every day.

We spent a few hours at La Cantina de Greve and had a great time. Try the Brasaola (cured beef) from Falorni, the best butcher in the region according to the locals.

Not to be missed for a great experience. There's a little vineyard just west of Greve (Altiero, which was my Dad's name) that only makes two types of wine, along with olive oil. My wife and I scheduled a visit and lunch with them. We received a wonderful tour of the vineyard by Paolo and Samuella and then had a private lunch with just them and Paolo's mother and father. My wife and I were blown away by their friendliness and sense of humor. The tour and lunch was out of this world. For 20 euro we got a great tour of a tiny wine production facility, a wine tasting of several vintages, and a wonderful homemade lunch. By far the best part was the company and friendship of the family.

If you visit them, please say the Tracy and Filippo say Buon Giorno!

Dec 04, 2009 at 9:42 AM

• Greg: With you on the Greve in Chianti. My wife and I stayed in the same Albergo and got to be friends with the family owners. Dad would come in after tending his vineyard and mom was in charge of the cooking and wife did the cleaning. Great time. We used Greve as the hub of our wheel visiting Volpaia, Verrazzano, Fontodi and many other Chianti and Super Tuscan oases you mention. In Volpaia we ate at a little café adjacent to the tasting tower. The young couple running it had just returned from several years in the U.S. He, the chef, and she the server and manager, took us to the very private tasting room for Volpaia. There were bottles there that were centuries old…amazing (got pictures, too).

Dec 08, 2009 at 3:58 PM

• We were in Volpaia in April of 2008 and had one of the most memorable meals of our lives at La Botega. The Ribolita and Pasta with white truffle were not to be believed. Along with the wine, the olive oil produced in Volpaia is remarkable. Greve is a charm. It seems untouched pretty much and not really overrun with crazed tourists. At least in April. Keep writing. We were in Umbria this year and love reading about the places we visited from another's prospective.

Dec 08, 2009 at 5:20 PM

• My meal at in Greve in Chianti was chinghiale and pappardelle. I can still taste it.

Dec 08, 2009 at 6:14 PM

• Snooth User: slick50
    302006 1

It was to see recognition for this wonderful place. When I was a younger man, I met the most beautiful Tuscan woman (24 years old) while studying in Florence whose family is a fixture in Greve. Her family has an villa/estate on one of the hill tops and I spent many days, weeks, and months on top of the world in Greve drinking her family's Chianti Classica, dining in the square, shopping in the weekend market, learning Italian and making love.

But alas, all fantasy becomes reality. After one and one-half years, I had to return to the States to embark on my career (lawyer). There was one aborted attempt to rekindle the romance and return to Greve, however, in 18 years I have not returned.

Your article, while brief, opened a flood of wonderful memories. If I could make any recommendation if one can afford it, it would be to rent a villa in Greve and travel around to a bunch of the hills towns in the Chianti region. Oh, and find yourself a beautiful woman to be your guide.

Dec 09, 2009 at 6:51 AM

Super. Glad to bring back so many memories and see that my love for Greve, and Chianti as a region, is shared by so many. Thanks for all the wonderful comments.

Dec 11, 2009 at 11:28 AM

• Snooth User: MATEL

On my recent Chianti tour, we experienced a superb tasting at Vecchie Terre di Montefili (in Panzano). Their Bruno di Rocca 2004 old vine Sangiovese was the highlight of our trip.
    Followed this tasting with another tasting luncheon of 2006 Chianti Classico at ristoranti Nerbone in Greve.
    This wonderful first day of our 6 day tour actually turned out to be the HIGHLIGHT !!!

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:31 PM

• My husband and I are planning our first trip to Italy in 2011 (waiting on those frequent flyer miles!) after 23 years in the food and wine business. It is a sin we haven't made it there already! Thank you for the article and the comments. This is the kind of little town I am looking for to settle in for a week or so. It sounds utterly perfect.

Jul 19, 2010 at 3:37 PM

• My wife and I LOVED our visit to Greve and especially the wine bar, La Cantina di Greve in Chianti. Where else can you sample some of the finest wines in Tuscany? Although my wife is a white wine drinker, I had probably 15 times more reds at my disposal. WOW, what a concept.....a debit card, a wine glass and so many wines to sample. I drink Chianti Classico Reserve on a regular basis as a result of our fabulous visit to Greve.

Jul 20, 2010 at 8:08 PM

• Albergo del Chianti gets great reviews and sounds like a charming place to stay. We don't think we can wait until next year, so we are looking into October of this year! Yes!!!

Jul 20, 2010 at 8:18 PM

• Snooth User: Altheam

My husband and I spent 2 weeks in Italy on our honeymoon in 2003 and only got a tease of Tuscany. In 2007, we went to Chianti for 10 days with some friends. Stayed in a villa between Greve and Castellina so visited both towns often. There is so much to love about this area but the people and the house wines stand out. We loved every minute and would go back tomorrow!! (Sigh)

Jul 20, 2010 at 10:52 PM