Italian White Wines Worth Tasting

7 different varieties to try for spring

« Prev Next » 2 of 10
Why You Might Enjoy These Wines

You might wonder why. Is it because this wine was the most typical? Was it true to type? Heck, even I have a tenuous grip on what true to type is with some of the more obscure Italian varieties. No, it is because it was the most delicious. While deliciousness is hard to quantify, I know it when I see it.

Having said all that, you should have some idea of what you’re getting yourself into, so lets take a look at a few of the grape varieties that you should check out this summer and why you might enjoy them!

Check out the list of wines tasted!

Photo courtesy nodomain.cc via Flickr/CC

Comments

• Snooth User: hnachaj

Lugana is a nice alternative. I spent a whole week at Lago di Garda in Sermione at the Ollive which is just behind Maria Carlas house. Lugana is mostly unknown and thus very inexpensive.

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:42 PM

• What about Falanghina - a lovely summer wine.

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:47 PM

• Snooth User: hnachaj

Not sure about Falanghina? Which area?

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:51 PM

• What about Arneis? Roero Arneis produced by some of the best Piemontese vintners.
    Grillo - from Sicily
    Falanghina - is from Campagnia, which is the province where Naples is located

Apr 10, 2012 at 6:22 PM

• Snooth User: barabas

Where are the great wines from Friuli ??????

Apr 10, 2012 at 6:26 PM

• Snooth User: hnachaj

I don't care for much of the Southern stuff. But, Friuli and Alto Adagi have both some real nice stuff!

Apr 10, 2012 at 7:07 PM

• hnachaj - you're probably not familiar with Falanghina because you're not fond of wines from Southern Italy.....it's from Campania.

Apr 10, 2012 at 7:10 PM

• Snooth User: teddz

Last time I dined in Italy with work colleagues, Falanghina seemed to be a pretty popular accompaniment to fish dishes (this was in eastern Emilia Romagna). Nice thing about the Campania (and Apulia) wines is that some winemakers actually allow the grapes to ripen enough to express some varietal character. Unfortunately some of them are over the hill by the time they get over here. As for Arneis, Vermentino, all the varietals from Alto Adige and Friuli, and we might as well add in Grillo from Sicily and a few others, well, they may all be unique grapes, but they all are vinified to a similar style, of light, crisp things the locals toss back during passegiata, with nary a thought ... Well, OK, they might at least comment on a bad one ...

Apr 10, 2012 at 8:28 PM

• Snooth User: luca chevalier

Carricante it' s a serius grape to make wines you will find it on north side of etna vulcano, about falanghina it is located in between 3 region campania, molise and puglia maybe, but gives its best , in my opinion, near roccamonfina. In this place there is a vulcano that is not active anymore so you have a wine that is more mineral and deep....

Apr 11, 2012 at 2:15 AM

• Snooth User: jnwall

Well worth looking into Est Est Est di Montefiascone, a very drinkable white wine we enjoyed the last time we were in Rome. It seems to be from an area of Italy just north of Rome.

Apr 11, 2012 at 9:22 AM

• Snooth User: teddz

Luca, if carricante is the grape used in the Etna Bianco we can occasionally find in the US, then I agree this is a wine with some nice character and flavor.

Apr 11, 2012 at 3:45 PM

• In south east texas, Italian vermentino at a moderate price is not readily available, i.e., less than $10. I did bite the bullet and purchase a more expensive italian iteration to set a baseline. Following that experience, I located a Texas vintners who working wonders with this grape. I'll not name names but, a little search time will produce an answer.

Apr 19, 2012 at 5:31 PM

• I am far from an expert in wines. But I know what I like. Last year I was in Italy and I has some excellent wine from Castello del Trebbio. I have 2 questions: 1. Has anyone ever experienced the wines from Castello del Trebbio and if so how can purchase this product?

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:46 PM