Finding out what wine with... In-N-Out!

Living the Fast Life in Sonoma

« Prev Next » 10 of 11
The Verdict

Once again, I have to say I am flat out surprised at how well Chardonnay did with these burgers. It sort of flies in the face of convention, but if we’ve learned anything with these fast food pairings, it’s that a fast food burger is not really a beef dish, it’s rather a sandwich dish with the flavors heavily influenced by sweet, toasty bread, sauces and vegetable.

The other takeaway here is sort of obvious, but with the red wines it was fascinating to watch each progressively bigger, more intense wine come into its own with the bigger, more intense burger. While Chardonnay with your hamburger may not be one of the tried and true food pairing paradigms yet, matching intensity with intensity is always a safe rule of thumb.

Oh, and the fries. Addictive, I ate most of them before I finished up with the burgers, but since they are a side I would recommend pairing the wine with your burger and just enjoying the fries as a bonus. If you’re having the fries on their own, I have to admit that the Chardonnay pairing once again was particularly successful. Each greasy salty fry met its match when paired with a creamy, bright sip of wine!

Comments

• Snooth User: EMark

Fun piece.

It's a dirty job, but I guess somebody's got to do it.

Personally, my favorite pick for a double-double with fries is a vanilla shake. I guess I'm just an old dog with no new tricks in him.

However, filling up with that lunch would prepare me quite well for tasting room visits afterword.

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Write your comment here.I had the vanilla shake on a second visits, sitting outside in the shade of an umbrella surrounded by a local high school cheering squad. It was a perfect setting and nothing would have gone better with it than the shake!

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:39 PM

• Snooth User: audreyvp

Mmmm, I think I nice Zin would be the perfect complement to an in-n-out cheeseburger with onions!

Sep 12, 2011 at 3:51 PM

• Snooth User: napagirl68

Whenever I resort to "fast food" in the Sonoma area, I always end up at Mary's Pizza Shack. Love their pizza, and yes, I even pair it with my fav. RRV pinots!

Sep 12, 2011 at 10:21 PM

• Snooth User: Richard Foxall

What a coincidence, NG--our really good friend's daughter used to be the chief cook/chef at Mary's. We were at her sister's wedding this weekend, and she still cooks up a storm. But Mary's is definitely a notch above typical pizza, and not really fast food. For burgers, Zin or Bordeaux, but a shake is good in the middle of the day. For pizza, I'm more ecumenical, but a nice Salice Salentino or Barbera works nicely.

Sep 13, 2011 at 12:57 AM

• Mmmm. I have often considered moving back to California just for In and Out. I can't wait to try some of these pairings, though it will cost me at least one plane ticket.

Sep 13, 2011 at 10:43 AM

It's worth it, but that plane ticket can also be to Vegas! In all honesty I stop at in-n-out twice on almost every California trip. Love the burgers, but I stick with a double-double and two orders of fries, one regular and one well done, then mix the two. I like the well done but they can be a little dry.

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:42 AM

• GDP, I have eaten at In and Out in Vegas, Phoenix, all over California, and most recently, at the brand new location in Allen, TX while visiting my sister. (Allen is a Dallas suburb.) I always get a cheeseburger animal style, fries, and a chocolate shake. On my last trip, I was able to treat my 16 year old stepson to the wonder that is In and Out. He used to tease me for talking about it all the time. After half of a burger he looked at me and said, "I get it now."

Sep 13, 2011 at 3:35 PM

• Snooth User: EMark

I'll also endorse Mary's. We tried it last June. In fact we did it twice--we took out a pizza for our hotel room one night, and had a plate of pasta in their dining room one night. Good food. And very reasonably priced.

Sep 13, 2011 at 8:03 PM

• One of my favorites is just the fries animal style. It went really well with a Somona coast Pinot

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:06 PM