Finding out what wine with... In-N-Out!

Living the Fast Life in Sonoma

Next » 1 of 11
Finding out what wine with... In-N-Out! During my visit to Sonoma this year (when I raced up and down the county on #CabernetDay as a kick-off to our own GTiCabernet, as well as spent the better part of a week visiting wineries and grabbing some great interviews during the Visa Sonoma Wine Weekend), I also made time to add another, regional, chapter to my fast food and wine series.

Now while some may argue that In-N-Out isn’t exactly fast, it is indeed convenient and that’s what unites "fast" foods. Since I was in Sonoma, I opted for a completely Sonoma-centric lineup this time around and limited myself to only five wines to pair with In-N-Out’s signature hamburgers: a straight burger, a Double-Double and the pièce de résistance, a Double-Double, Animal Style. What do you think my results looked like?

Comments

• Snooth User: EMark

Fun piece.

It's a dirty job, but I guess somebody's got to do it.

Personally, my favorite pick for a double-double with fries is a vanilla shake. I guess I'm just an old dog with no new tricks in him.

However, filling up with that lunch would prepare me quite well for tasting room visits afterword.

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Write your comment here.I had the vanilla shake on a second visits, sitting outside in the shade of an umbrella surrounded by a local high school cheering squad. It was a perfect setting and nothing would have gone better with it than the shake!

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:39 PM

• Snooth User: audreyvp

Mmmm, I think I nice Zin would be the perfect complement to an in-n-out cheeseburger with onions!

Sep 12, 2011 at 3:51 PM

• Snooth User: napagirl68

Whenever I resort to "fast food" in the Sonoma area, I always end up at Mary's Pizza Shack. Love their pizza, and yes, I even pair it with my fav. RRV pinots!

Sep 12, 2011 at 10:21 PM

• Snooth User: Richard Foxall

What a coincidence, NG--our really good friend's daughter used to be the chief cook/chef at Mary's. We were at her sister's wedding this weekend, and she still cooks up a storm. But Mary's is definitely a notch above typical pizza, and not really fast food. For burgers, Zin or Bordeaux, but a shake is good in the middle of the day. For pizza, I'm more ecumenical, but a nice Salice Salentino or Barbera works nicely.

Sep 13, 2011 at 12:57 AM

• Mmmm. I have often considered moving back to California just for In and Out. I can't wait to try some of these pairings, though it will cost me at least one plane ticket.

Sep 13, 2011 at 10:43 AM

It's worth it, but that plane ticket can also be to Vegas! In all honesty I stop at in-n-out twice on almost every California trip. Love the burgers, but I stick with a double-double and two orders of fries, one regular and one well done, then mix the two. I like the well done but they can be a little dry.

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:42 AM

• GDP, I have eaten at In and Out in Vegas, Phoenix, all over California, and most recently, at the brand new location in Allen, TX while visiting my sister. (Allen is a Dallas suburb.) I always get a cheeseburger animal style, fries, and a chocolate shake. On my last trip, I was able to treat my 16 year old stepson to the wonder that is In and Out. He used to tease me for talking about it all the time. After half of a burger he looked at me and said, "I get it now."

Sep 13, 2011 at 3:35 PM

• Snooth User: EMark

I'll also endorse Mary's. We tried it last June. In fact we did it twice--we took out a pizza for our hotel room one night, and had a plate of pasta in their dining room one night. Good food. And very reasonably priced.

Sep 13, 2011 at 8:03 PM

• One of my favorites is just the fries animal style. It went really well with a Somona coast Pinot

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:06 PM