How to Prevent a Hangover

Beyond the painful rite of passage

Next » 1 of 9
How to Prevent a Hangover
Shocking! That’s what we all think when we wake up with sticky eyelids, a pounding headache and a mouth that feels like it has been stuffed with paper towels all night.

What the hell is going on? All I did last night was…oh right.

All you did last night was blow it up! Champagne, martinis, beer, wine and shots, that’s all, right? Now if that was all, and I’m not convinced we’ve really covered all the bases, then you deserve what you get. If I could, I’d be there on your shoulders smashing together tiny pots and pans just to make sure you got every bit of head pounding pain you deserve.

The hangover is a rite of passage, and for some a badge of honor, but for most of us it is an avoidable reminder of a night either gone right or very, very wrong. Learn how to fend off the hangover and begin 2012 with a clear(er) mind!

Happy New Year!

Photo courtesy theentiremikey via Flickr/CC

Comments

• Snooth User: xozai
    197399 134

I believe that taking alcohol and advil (ibuprofen) may cause stomach bleeding. Acetaminophen when mixed with alcohol may also increase the chances of liver damage. Hence, I think the only "safe" alternative for pain killers after alcohol consumption is aspirin. I am a doctor, but I just think that it is not responsible for Snooth to suggest a potentially harmful combination.

Dec 30, 2011 at 4:05 PM

• Snooth User: EMark

Advil which was cited in the article not acetaminophen. It is ibuprofen. (Tylenol is acetaminophen.) The issues of combining acetaminphen and alcohol are well published. Are there any issues with ibuprofen? I have never heard of anything, but I am not a healthcare expert. (And I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express, last night.)

Also, I was under the impression that aspirin caused stomach bleeding, which is why I steer more towards ibuprofen. Am I wrong, there?

Just for the record, I will have wine New Year's Eve, but not enough to wake up with a hangover on Sunday.

Dec 30, 2011 at 4:20 PM

• please- its a " rite of passage" not a right of passage. Language is important. It is how we describe taste.

TPedantic

Dec 30, 2011 at 5:53 PM

• Snooth User: beebob

After years of empirical study, I have found the magic formula; A+B+C=hangover free. Take vitamin A, B6 (has to be B6), and C before you go to bed. Take another round in the AM as required. These are the key ingredients in most "hangover cures" sold. WARNING: do NOT take this before you start drinking as some hangover experts suggest. This will make you think you can drink more.

The other enemy is dehydration (as mentioned in the article). Drink a ton of water with A+B6+C.

Another good rule is not to switch beverages. I like to say, "ride out of town on the same horse you rode in on!" If you start with vodka, vodka it is. I also believe that clear, top shelf liquors are best if you are going to deviate from wine. Thanks for pointing out why!

Dec 30, 2011 at 7:58 PM

• Snooth User: KG Wine

Consuming simlar amount of water during drinking wine helps a lot.
    Also we round up with Tokaj 5-6 puttonyos. It gives you boost to reach home and you feel no heavy hungover next day. Still feel kind of slow but no painful feelings.
    This is Moscow experience. Works even when consume 3 bottles of wine per person.

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:16 PM

• Snooth User: AROwens

Most people are already chronically dehydrated. Cure that by drinking 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water everyday. (urine should be clear)Then add more water for what you sweat out. Then drink 2 glasss of H2O for every cocktail. You'll be fine.

Jan 01, 2012 at 3:42 PM