The 7 Steps to Wine Geekdom

What stage are you at?

Next » 1 of 9
The 7 Steps to Wine Geekdom We all have to start somewhere. Many of us start where it’s most easy, and that usually means sweet! There’s nothing wrong with starting on White Zin and inexpensive German wines. They all serve a purpose as gateway wines!

Each person’s path of wine discovery is a unique and distinctive journey, but many people have been down this road and some tend to follow well-trodden ways. That’s not to say that this is the main path one must take in order to achieve wine-geek status, but it comes up fairly frequently when the topic comes up.

What was your path of discovery, or what stage are you at now? Find out, and join the discussion!

Comments

• My path of discovery was helped along when I found a shop called Wine Styles. Rather than group wines by varietal (Cabs, Merlots...), they grouped them by taste (fruity, bold......). At that point, I was able to let go of the "I only drink Cabs" label and start loving the wines for their taste. I'm now slowly making my way from Stage 5 to Stage 6 and invested in some nice big wine glasses to really let the wines breathe.

Mar 01, 2011 at 1:53 PM

• Snooth User: riredbird

I hadn't realized how predictable I am! I have been following these steps to the letter and am moving out of 5 with my feet firmly in 6 and 7 in my sights.

Mar 01, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Sweet, but I have to warn you, i think I'm moving from step 5 to 6 for the fifth or sixth time!

Mar 01, 2011 at 3:13 PM

• Snooth User: erinlima

my epiphany wine was a Ridge Mataro - after I nursed a glass for an hour or so while reading, I thought to myself, "this is why people drink wine."

Mar 01, 2011 at 5:23 PM

• I have preferred elegance and finesse at least since the mid-1960s - my flirtations with complexity for its own sake have been brief, and my flirtations with power briefer and fewer (one: for about a year in the mid-1970s when the '74s were released....). I suppose it depends how your palate was trained - mine was trained on traditionally-made Cabernet and Zin in California reds, Bordeaux and Burgundy, Barolo and Brunello in Italy. Mostly Chablis and Burgundy in whites, some riesling, some California Chardonnay (Wente, Stony Hill back in the day), Port.

Mar 01, 2011 at 5:26 PM

• Faint, blurry memories of Mateus Rose, Lancers, and even Annie Green Springs, and MD 20/20 on wild college weekends in the late 60s. "If you remember the 60s you weren't really there!" Later, climbed the ladder's first rungs with Liebfraumilch and Berringer White Zin, onward and upward to Pinot, then Red Zin (still a favorite), Clarets and Cabs and Malbecs and Priorats, now fill my cellar. I really don't know that much about wine, but I do know what I like.

Mar 01, 2011 at 5:51 PM

• Snooth User: Msjp100

Ripple...matues...paisano jug... While in Europe Riesling ... Then a white burgundy... A 1996 george dubouef with a nice dinner. Don't remember the food but do remember the wine. Then wanted to try all different kinds...found some that I really appreciate. But I still don't understand the pricing.

Mar 01, 2011 at 6:52 PM

• Leaving 5 and headed into 6. This is a pretty accurate description. Another one to add would be "gaining wine education" either formally or on blogs and other sites. You are a true wine geek when you begin to seek out more and more information with all your spare time. Like I am doing as we speak.

Mar 01, 2011 at 9:58 PM

• Some 25 years ago, I bypassed the beer coolers at the local liquor outlet(tough for someone just out of college to do) and headed for the wine section.I was amazed at the vast variety of wines. Now, just as then,I still get that same rush of anticipation when finding new wine offerings. In a sense,I will always have one foot on that 3rd step.I enjoy simpler wines for what they are.When I venture onto the 4 thru6th steps, I gain an even greater appreciation for wine as a gift to be opened throughout ones lifetime.I have often found myself on steps 4&5 thanks to some of the great new Spanish reds. However, step 6 seems to carry a higher price to gain entry to.

Mar 01, 2011 at 10:54 PM

• Snooth User: ryllaar

You really do describe it well - I have recently moved off of the big heavy wines but do still love them sometimes...hmmm, only difference I started with Gallo Hearty Burgundy in college! Thanks for another great article!

Mar 02, 2011 at 1:07 AM

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

I had almost as much fun writing this as I had running through the steps. One point I might have omitted is that it's great if you get stuck on any step, or move back, or jump around.

It's all one great learning process, fun and educational!

Mar 02, 2011 at 10:28 AM

• oh how sophisticated we thought we were drinking Mateus Rose, Blue Nun, Veluto Rosso & Asti Spumante back in the early 80's. With very little spare cash I bought a couple of bottles of a Merlen chardonnay around 1989 & as instructed put it away for 5 years. OMG!!! an epiphany. I've had a few since then. Pyramid Valley Hille Vineyard 2007 Semillon & the late Harvest Sem. Very much jumping between steps 4, 5 & 6 depending on the mood, the occasion & the food.

Mar 04, 2011 at 9:39 PM

• Traveling down the road in this journey of wine discovery is so exciting. This article is spot on!

Mar 05, 2011 at 2:34 PM

• Snooth User: lingprof

It's true!! I didn't realize how predictable I was!

Even your comment, GDP, about cycling between 5 and 6 rings true. I always think of complexity as my favorite quality, and was surprised the first time that I thought "Oh I just want a nice, quiet wine that doesn't require too much work tonight."

I think the one stage you don't mention (maybe it's subsumed under complexity?) is the one where you keep checking the description from the reviews as you drink to see how much you "got right". Or... maybe that's just me?

Mar 07, 2011 at 2:32 AM

• Snooth User: Domie

yeah, I guess I'm in stage 7. my sister is aghast at some of the stuff I can enjoy. I finally learned that there is a time and a food for every wine. just because you don't happen to like it compared to other wines served with the same food, it would be great on it's own, at the right time of day, with a food to compliment it.

my favorite wines so far are Louis Jadot's Aloxe Corton (can't remember the specific years); Billacart Saumon Brut Rose, and my first Pinot Noir epiphany wine - Dellingher Pinot Noir.

am I a wine geek? well, I don't have enough cash for a cellar, so I'll settle with being a wine lover : )

Sep 12, 2011 at 9:15 PM