How to Be a Better Wine Lover

5 things you should do this year

Next » 1 of 7
How to Be a Better Wine Lover The more involved I become in the world of wine, the more I come to realize both how little I know and how much there is to learn. I want to be a better wine lover!

There are a few things that we can all do to expand our vision of the wine world. Things that are easy and yet from which we will be able to reap ample rewards. Move outside your comfort zone, take a risk and check out wines you think you hate. Push yourself and share the experiences!

These things can make each of us better versed in wine, but to a greater point, they can raise the level of communal wine knowledge which we share. This knowledge base, if shared, would help us all make better informed decisions about what we buy, when to drink what we buy, and how to advise all the people who ask for help. So listen up to the five things you should do this year.

Photo courtesy ForestMind via Flickr/CC

Comments

• One of the few headlines, ever, which would have been more appealing with the absence of the word "wine"...

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:54 AM

• Snooth User: Pansyford

This is great! Here are 5 more suggestions on how to be a better wine lover (this may include things some people do regularly but are likely new ideas for others)
    1. Visit a near (or far away) wine region and taste wines in the area that they were made in
    2. Do a blind tasting with your friends to learn more about what kinds of wine you like and see if you can identify what kind of wine each one is
    3. Prepare a dish (or buy one) and try it with two or more very different wines to learn more about what makes a good wine pairing
    5. Pick a varietal that you like and try wines made with that grape from different regions of the world (cab from california, chile, australia and bordeaux for example)

This is so fun! Looking forward to reading what other ideas wine lovers have!
    Best, Molly

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:41 PM

• Snooth User: LMuir

Thanks for this article. I recently became a wine collector. However, my collection does not date as far back as the 1980s. ( tooyoung to drink then). I appreciate your inspiration. Any further tips for wine collection purchases when next I visit South Italy and South France would be extremely valuable.

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:50 AM

• Snooth User: jsncruz

@ Pansyford
    "4. Open a decent bottle of red and try some each night for 4 nights. Note how the wine changes over the course of time after opening"
    I've tried this, and I know I shouldn't be surprised, but the changes were actually quite obvious. The wine I opened was a bottle of Fortant de France by Skalli (cab, '09) and on the second day, the fruitiness was a bit dulled, and I could smell the alcohol a little more. On day 3, it tasted like a generic for-cooking-red-wine. Well, perhaps I didn't store it well? It has a screw cap and I placed it in the fridge.

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Molly,

Those are great recommendations. I might have to write and article around them! Molly's 5 more things to do to be a better lover!

Feb 20, 2012 at 1:20 PM

• When I wrote my book about the 571 most common grape varieties I had to taste varietal wines en masse - and now I have found another 10 from the Valais valley in Switzerland and some in the Leth vineyard in Wagram in Austria. It is an exciting world!

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:45 PM

• Snooth User: gerrad

not sure id bother wasting a decent bottle by not drinking it in 4hrs let alone 4 days..but i see your point. keeping open wines in the fridge is the best way to 'keep' them if u must. alternatively, i could just save you all the time and suggest that for the most part decent red wines (read; somewhat aged and pricey) do not respond to 'a couple of days open' as well as some younger more 'robust' wines might do (read; young and tannic as hell). [its because of the greater colour, tannin and redox ability of young wines-mostly] essentially, if you dont finish a $10 bottle, no foul -it may even be better by tomorrow-, but a $30+ wine...should be drunk completely -now! i dont really see the point in recognising the various degraded states that wine acheives over time..except for one; knowing how long the bottle-of-wine-you-just-bought-by-the-glass, in a bar somewhere, has been open! i always ask the staff..' what bottles of which wine were opened today'. all good suggestions otherwise, although there may be some confusion over varieties and varietals- they arent the same thing.

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:05 PM