Extreme Wines: Aging Edition

From the mundane to the mysterious, 5 wacky wines that are truly unique

Next » 1 of 7
Extreme Wines: Aging Edition

There are plenty of ways a wine can be extreme: alcohol, extraction, even age. The following five wines are some of the most unusual extreme wines.

What they’ve been subjected to makes them unusual to say the least. I’m not sure any is better because of what it has been through, but each one does have quite a compelling story. The story of wine is a huge part of the reason we pick and choose certain wines, after all.

Check out these extreme wines and let us know which might interest you and which are just full of bull! I’ll be back next week with a different extreme angle to ponder, but until then let’s take a look at Extreme Wines: Aging Edition

Comments

• Snooth User: ephorn

I just bought a Kalin cellars pinot noir (sonoma) a month ago and the current release is 1999 and that is for pinot noir! Renaissance vineyards (Sierra foothills) has some late releases as well with 3 current cabernet releases from the mid to late nineties. Who said CA wine is a drink now proposition!

May 09, 2012 at 3:02 PM

• Snooth User: EMark

Recently, we met some friends for conversation and wine. One person brought a vintage 1999 Spanish Rose. I think it was from Rioja, but I may be wrong, there. (I now feel bad because I just cannot recall the name of the wine.) The provider of the wine said that the bottle was released by the winery in 2009 (i.e., 10 years of aging before release). He also said that most people do not care for it, although he thought it was a great wine. Always eager to try something new I took a taste. Put me in the "do not care for it" group.

"It's oxidized to heck," I said.

"It's supposed to be oxidized," was his reply.

To me, that emperor had no clothes.

Is anybody familiar with this Spanish Rose that the winery ages for 10 years before release? If so, can you explain to me the subtleties needed to appreciate it? Or, was this wine just oxidized and my buddy, who should know better, is full of it?

May 09, 2012 at 7:40 PM

• I expected a reference to Chateau Gilette and Moulin Touchais. I wouldn't call them wacky, but I'd call them unique.

May 09, 2012 at 8:36 PM

• Snooth User: Lulu2007

I am aging a couple bottles of Domaine Berthet Bondet Chateau Chalon....2002... That won't be ready to taste for few years. It too is an oxidized wine so I am hoping for the best!

May 09, 2012 at 8:52 PM

• Nice article thanks for share.
    Thanks
    Petar@VinoEnology.com

May 09, 2012 at 9:49 PM

• As a huge Barbe-Nicole Cliquot fan, love that some of her bottles were found by divers! I wouldn't be able to resist popping open several of the world's first businesswoman's (and wine innovator) bottles!

May 09, 2012 at 11:09 PM

• Snooth User: cosmoscaf

One of the best Cab Sauv's I've ever had was a '96 Robert Mondavi Private Reserve - yes, the inexpensive one. We opened it just a couple years ago after it had long hung out in rather tawdry surroundings. And it was wonderful - smooth as silk, layered with flavor, just phenomenal.Now, I lay down various labels including a few from R Mondavi. Something with a couple decades of aging wisdom provides an experience that cannot be matched by young wines even though they may be excellent otherwise.

May 10, 2012 at 2:01 AM

• No EMArk, not heard that one about Spanish Rose before. There's a Bandol Rose, Domaine Terrebrune, that I had after 13 years from Vintage. I expected it would be weird. It was very light pink still and tasted just like a new vintage. The wine had great delicacy and was recommended for gourmet or exotic food. very unusually long lasting and enhanced by food, for a rose.
    We also found a lost wine, a Ross Estates Shiraz, many years after losing it - and it was wonderful.

May 10, 2012 at 8:49 AM

• Snooth User: AndreaWilson

Love Seppeltsfield! Visited the winery during my honeymoon. Great port.

May 11, 2012 at 1:45 PM

• Snooth User: JonDerry

Enjoyed the article here, definitely interested in deep sea storage!

Bought a couple 2010 Terrebrune Rose's recently, popped one for Mother's day and it was a crowd pleaser for sure, though maybe not as much of a stayer as you enjoyed william.

May 25, 2012 at 2:01 AM

• JonDerry - Glad you have great taste!

I would have said the same about Dom TB 2010. The label was then revealed and it was 1993.
    Monsieur Delille is very proud of the wines longevity, but all ours disappeared in weeks!

May 28, 2012 at 5:31 AM