Don't Drink That, Drink This!

Enjoy premium wine at decent prices

« Prev Next » 3 of 7
Don't Drink: Crappy Over-Priced Merlot

Merlot is the wine no one wants to admit to liking. Besides that whole “we’re not drinking any f*c&ing merlot” episode in the movie Sideways, I’m at a loss for a reason. The truth is, Merlot is easier to drink than Cabernet. It’s rounder and lusher, and with darker, somewhat chocolaty fruit. In other words, it’s what many producers wish their Cabernets tasted like! There’s no shame in loving a smooth Merlot, and if you are after something smooth and rich, check out the Merlot from Washington state, where warm days and even nights lends the wines an uncommon polish.

Drink this:

Red Diamond Merlot 2007

Chateau St Michelle Indian Wells Cabernet Sauvignon 2008

Buy this wine at Sherry-Lehmann!

Photo courtesy Wisdom72 via Flickr/CC

Comments

• Snooth User: Stanger

I can certainly vouch for that. I'm a Merlot fan and find that cheaper wines such as Lindeman (Australia); Copperidge (CA); and Concannon Merlot and Pinot Grigio (CA) actually have a better flavor than some of the more expensive wines. I'm convinced that one does not have to spend a lot to get a good flavored wine.

Jan 03, 2012 at 4:48 PM

• Snooth User: FrankAlfa

I only have three words : Amarone, Amarone & Amarone!!!!!! There is no other wine to drink!

Jan 03, 2012 at 7:15 PM

• Snooth User: FrankAlfa

I have been drinking wine and making wine for many years. The only wine I buy is AMARONE!!!! Nothing else even comes close to the complexity and flavor of an Amarone!!!!!

Jan 03, 2012 at 7:17 PM

• Snooth User: FrankAlfa

Tonight I am enjoying a 2007 Amarone Villa Arvedi by Bertani! It is a very young, rough wine at this time but it has a big wonderfully flavor, that is broad and concentrated with a lovely long finish, totally dry but with sweet fruit and tanins that are not totally soft yet and are there for a good nudge. I like to drink Amarone wines that are 8 to10 years old when they have married all of their many layers of complexity flavors to a point where everything has matured into "Liquid Gold" and becomes a magical drink with a long, long, long finish!!!! You have not tasted wine until you have indulged in enjoying a well aged Amarone. Be patient and you will be rewarded with one of life's rare pleasures. Nothing comes close!!!!! Amarone wines are not cheap but a if I am going to drink wine, I want to drink something special! I bought about 28 bottles of several different Amarone wines this year and the Vintages have been 2006, 2007 & 2008's. I will continue to buy and enjoy Amarone wines for many years to come. Year after year, I will enjoy the very finest wine there is by drinking well matured Amarone wines. Forza Amarone!

Jan 03, 2012 at 9:17 PM

• Anyone got any views on Amarone...?

Jan 04, 2012 at 5:56 AM

• Snooth User: Svein

"Modern" Sauvignon Blanc: Too often overpriced and pis-de-chat like!

Jan 04, 2012 at 9:35 AM

• I agree that Chilean Cabs can be quite nice. I had a 2000 from Patagonia that was tasty and smooth.
    Thanks for the heads-up about Red Diamond Merlot. Now I have a better idea why it's one of my top sellers.

Jan 04, 2012 at 12:11 PM

• Snooth User: Stevern86

For Sauvignon Blanc I look to Lake County California and New Zealand. Price is definitely not the best indicator of best wines in this catagory. Good stuff for a reasonable price abounds. I agree with the great value in white Bordeaux's too.

Jan 05, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Just goes to show you there is always a good option no matter what your price point or palate preference.

Jan 06, 2012 at 11:10 AM

• Snooth User: misselly

I am a white wine drinker and really love OPEN RIESLING/GEWÜRZTRAMINER. $11.95 in Ontario....

Jan 09, 2012 at 2:58 PM

• Snooth User: ceegee58

My go-to wine is Rodney Strong Merlot. It is far superior to lots of more expensive wines I've tried. Another favorite is Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. Both of these are under $20 a bottle and never fail to wow!!

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:41 AM