Don't Drink That, Drink This! (part 2)

Cheap wine worth drinking

« Prev Next » 5 of 7
Don't Drink: Crappy Cheap Red Blends

So many cheap wines are simply blends of other wines that couldn’t be sold. Truth is, these blends often taste better than their component wines, with one wine covering the faults of the others. But blending comes with a price. You tend toward the mean, so while you might get something decent to drink, you’ll probably get something totally anonymous.

Want a red blend that has real character and won’t break the bank? I’m still hot on Portugal, arguably providing the best red wine values in the world. You do have to be a bit choosy, but when you find a winner, it can be a towering home run.

Drink this:

Palestra Duore Red

Cortes de Cima Reserva 2003

Photo courtesy Ulrich Thumult via Flickr/CC

Comments

• Gregory, this is wonderful! Thanks so much.

Jan 09, 2012 at 3:15 PM

• I found an awesome wine and you won't believe the price. I was in World Market buying coffee and came across this wine. $5.29 if you buy more than 4! It tastes as good as any expensive malbec or sangiovese I ever had. It is call Gaetano D' Aquino, and it is said Toscana red on the bottle. I bought 30 bottles. They are getting more in Thursday...I am buying 30 more TRY THIS WINE! TRUST ME!

Jan 09, 2012 at 3:17 PM

• Snooth User: Stevern86

TJ's has the best deal on bubbly under 10 bucks. Blason Cremant de Borgone. At $9.99 it drinks like 20 bucks.

Jan 09, 2012 at 3:27 PM

• Snooth User: tidly

I love a 4 grape blend called Rare Red. It retails for 5.99, great daily drinker.

Jan 09, 2012 at 5:36 PM

• My favorite wine is very inexpensive. It is a Meritage by Sterling Vineyards. It's about $12.00 but tastes like $120.00. Sometime it is on sale at my market even a buy one get one, that is when I stock up.

Jan 09, 2012 at 6:19 PM

• Snooth User: Apester

Gregory,

How about a segment on, "if you like this, then try these"? I would love it if you list a wine at a premium price (E.G., Duck Horn or Rambauer Chardonay) and then list the same type at a moderate price and at an inexpensive price. Categorize them by the main flavour in the premium price wine and try your best to find the deals that match the closest flavor!

Jan 09, 2012 at 9:58 PM

• Snooth User: Apester

Gregory,

How about a segment on, "if you like this, then try these"? I would love it if you list a wine at a premium price (E.G., Duck Horn or Rambauer Chardonay) and then list the same type at a moderate price and at an inexpensive price. Categorize them by the main flavour in the premium price wine and try your best to find the deals that match the closest flavor.

Jan 09, 2012 at 9:58 PM

• Snooth User: Charkie

I agree with the Meritage by Sterling Vinyards. Cost Plus has them for $8.99 every few months. Also, Castle Rock Pinot Noir and Cabernet, also at Cost Plus for 5.99 when on sale.

Jan 09, 2012 at 10:06 PM

• Our daily red ..organic, cheap and great! And sulfite free as a bonus

Jan 09, 2012 at 10:09 PM

• Thanks bostooties and Charkie, for bringing back fond memories of Sterling Vineyards. They used to sell a very good value cheap Pinot Noir through the now defunct Oddbins chain here in England in the early 1990's.
    They also used to sell La Cetto Petite Syrah, from Baja California, at about the same price point, and this was always an enjoyable spicy red.

Jan 10, 2012 at 5:22 AM

• Charkie. I'm in South Fla and we don't have a Cost Plus. Too bad. Sounds like a good deal. I'll look for Castle Rock. I very much like Cabernet. I've been enjoying Red Diamond lately. Was on sale at my Publix for $7.99. Have to run out and get some more before the sale ends.

Jan 10, 2012 at 9:43 AM

• Snooth User: Kate Statton

Hi Apester - over the summer, Greg wrote a series of articles similar to that "If you like this, try these" idea, called "What to Drink Now." You can find that list of articles here:

Jan 10, 2012 at 9:51 AM

• Snooth User: Brian1991

Will Bodegas Zabrun Garnacha del Fuego 2009 get better with age? If so, how long should I hold it before I drink it?

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:18 PM

• Snooth User: Charkie

Bostootsies, I see that they have Total Wine and More in Florida. You can just about find anything there and their prices are good. My first trip there was like being a "Kid in the Candy Store"

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:20 PM

• Bostootsies, they also have costco's in florida and they have very good prices on wine as well.

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:52 PM

• Snooth User: RedWineAl

Thumbs up for Portugal. Don't write off English Fizz...! Enjoying Ripasso as a great cheaper/lighter alternative to Amarone.

Jan 19, 2012 at 2:58 PM

• Snooth User: Trader Joe

My Cost Plus in Boise has the Olive Garden's Roscato, Primo Amore Moscato and the Poggio Moscato for around $9.99. I wish Trader Joe's would come to the Treasure Valley.

Feb 06, 2012 at 7:25 PM