6 Green Ways to Bottle Wine

The truth behind wine packaging

Next » 1 of 8
6 Green Ways to Bottle Wine Winemakers continue to make many decisions that impact the environment well after the wine has been made. Both container choices and closure choices have implications on both the wine’s quality and carbon footprint. This might seem inconsequential at first, much like the roll inside of a roll of toilet paper, but when they are multiplied across all consumers of wine they can definitely add up. The roll inside the toilet paper can as well, but I moved on from there, try to keep up.

Today, we’ll take a look at the various containers used for the sale of wine and consider the implication of each on both the wine and the environment. One has to keep in mind that shifting from one form of container to another is an expensive proposition, accounting for much of the resistance to and denigrating of various alternate forms of containers.

Photo courtesy Tricia Wang via Flickr/CC

Comments

• Snooth User: Kyle Graynor

Wait, there's really no benefit to the plastic bottles, and they're expensive? I would assume that they would be LESS expensive!

I've had great experiences with boxed wine, with it lasting for over a week without any negative changes in taste. If bagged wine is the same (I assume it would be, since it's just sans the box), then I should definitely start looking into that.

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:21 PM

• Snooth User: kme2010

"...The roll inside the toilet paper can as well, but I moved on from there, try to keep up."
    I'm up! I'm up!
    Recycled ANY [paper] roll, wedged between the wires, will keep your budgie, parakeet, parrot, lovebird happy for hours on end. [Better yet -- while they last! -- our condo-dwelling friends regularly collect unloved doorstop-size telephone directors (phone books, yep), which our African Grey readily devours, a book a week.] Extra bonus points for phone books: the drifting newsprint shreds have a static charge which attracts bird dander and keeps her corner of the living room clean...
    Oh, and, back on topic [a bit] -- she much prefers destroying used corks to snapping bottle caps with her hookbill.
    As for yours truly, when the contents finally catch up to the concept, I am all for doing the box. I "pour"my salad's EVOO from a five litre fusti sitting on an open shelf in my kitchen. Why not the glass to go with it?

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:41 PM

• Snooth User: vin4u

Gregory, shame on you for allowing such obvious misinformation on alternative packaging to be published on Snooth! Plastic (PET) for wine bottles has been the choice for airlines for over 5 years now. The trend is growing into production of 750ml PET wine bottles that are very suitable for the beach, pool, concert venues and other places where glass is prohibited or undesirable. The plastic (PET) is food contact grade, FDA and EU compliant and contains an oxygen barrier that protects wine for up to 2 years. See http://www.outdoorwino.com for a current example of this remarkable package. The package uses less energy to produce than glass and saves 1/3 in weight in shipping. Also no breakage!

Oct 20, 2011 at 2:10 PM

• Snooth User: istephen

Here in Ontario, we also have wine in TetraPaks.

I am concerned about non-sparkling table wines still being packaged in very heavy glass. It isn't justified, in light of the climate change crisis. Similarly, why is so much aluminum being used in packaging, when it's not currently recyclable. (In any case, it's more environmental to NOT overpackage in the first place).

Oct 20, 2011 at 3:50 PM

• Wine in a box?

Is that like cigars in a bottle?

Http://www.Sedimentblog.com

Oct 20, 2011 at 3:50 PM

• Snooth User: gardenchic

I hate the tetra paks, i refuse to buy them, bottles for me, call me old school, great, i am old, I WANT MY BOTTLE AND CORK!

Oct 20, 2011 at 5:35 PM

• At Municipal Winemakers (in Santa Barbara, CA) we have refillable wine growlers. A liter bottle, customers take them home and bring them back to be sanitized and refilled. Also, at $20 for a refill it's good for the wallet too. http://www.municipalwinemakers.com

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:18 PM

• Why not recyclable glass bottles? The milk industry did it and ...I remember buying gallon size bottles of wine from the Napa Valley wineries like Sam Sebastiani.in the 40's-50's. Of course , we brought our own clean jugs. With a little bit of design and planning a system can be both green and economic.

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:18 PM

• Snooth User: gardenchic

we take our glass wine bottles back, i am in ONTARIO CANADA,,,some times it is a bit embarrassing,,,, how much do you drink??? i like it tho,,,they pay 5 cents, well each bottle is different.

Oct 20, 2011 at 7:22 PM

• considering wine sales are regulated by state, not sure we could as a country could introduce regulations on bottle / container production...I've only ever had wine out of a bottle but after reading this will specifically seek out one of these alternatives. Thanks GDP! -- Tina

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:44 AM

• No mention of Tetra Pak --- how come?
    Nay Saywell, Maine

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:58 AM

• I run a small Organic Fruit Winery in Maine; Shalom Orchard.
    I would love it if there was a few varieties of
    a 'standardized' wine bottle (I mostly use Bordeaux)
    That I could get from the recyclers, thoroughly
    clean and sanitize and reuse! I do recycle my
    own bottles for my own consumption, but then
    I know what was in them, and know they were
    promptly and thoroughly cleaned. I don't know
    how the Public would like the idea of reusing
    Wine bottles... Jim