Dessert Wines for the Holidays

End your meal on a sweet note

Comments

• Snooth User: ssigaud

Gregory - great article yet I was surprised not to see Muscat de Beaumes-de-Venise mentioned. I know I am biased... but I think it belongs! What say you?

Dec 22, 2010 at 12:19 PM

• I was surprised not to see Electra or Red Electra by Quady Winery on the list as it is a delicately fruity and seductively sweet dessert wine. Although my favorite didn't make the cut, I think your suggestions are well worth a try. Thanks for posting!

Dec 22, 2010 at 1:41 PM

• Snooth User: cbevacqua

Gregory, where are the Chilean dessert wines? :) Will try your suggestions. Happy holidays.

Dec 22, 2010 at 3:32 PM

• Snooth User: fbvintage

I don't like this article. Do you have some problem with port wine ? Port wine is the best, you can say there other options, but don't put any port wine in yours examples, is note very elegant.

Dec 22, 2010 at 3:37 PM

• Snooth User: mikejapan

What about the wine of kings; Tokaji?

Dec 22, 2010 at 4:59 PM

• Where are the Ice Wines?

Dec 22, 2010 at 5:43 PM

• Snooth User: spossum
    520172 3

Since it seems like most people are surprised that their favorite dessert wines didn't make the list, I'll jump on the bandwagon (knowing full well that a comprehensive list would be quite ponderous): Moscato d'Asti - one of the fastest growing categories in the US.

Dec 22, 2010 at 5:54 PM

• Wish you Merry x-mas Gregory and to all how works wis you in Snooth, Nelli

Dec 22, 2010 at 5:58 PM

• Great article. Just wondering if you're had a chance to try the Yalumba range of botrytised viogniers?

Had the Yalumba hand-picked Botrytis Viognier 2007 recently and it was delicious and very aromatic.

Best wishes for Xmas and Happy New Year. Merrill

Dec 22, 2010 at 6:40 PM

• Snooth User: Rollonose

I would reccomend Inniskillin Vidal Icewine. I am biased as I manage the winery, however it is known as one of the best dessert wines in over 70 countries.

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:02 PM

• another great choice would be gratta's dry creek zinfandel dessert wine...a real san francisco treat made locally!

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:32 PM

• Snooth User: tonymoir

Always difficult when you limit your selection to seven wines - but...no Sauternes, no Muscat de Beaumes de Venise, no port, no liqueur muscat....!

Dec 23, 2010 at 5:45 AM

• Snooth User: pazdar

Those are classics but you missed some of the great new dessert wines such as Chocolata Amor from the Pazdar Winery.

Dec 23, 2010 at 8:47 AM

• Snooth User: stormesixx

What, no eiswein? You can't leave off cabernet franc icewine. It's da bomb!

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:54 AM

• Snooth User: MikeWaters

I agree that the absence of Beaumes de Venise is strange. One of the world's greatest dessert wines, and not priced to break the bank. Also, Monbazillac is a good one.

Dec 23, 2010 at 1:10 PM

• I know there is a strong bias against fruit-based wines, but if you get a chance, try blueberry or raspberry. blueberry tastes like a sweet merlot and raspberry is like cassis.

Dec 23, 2010 at 1:58 PM

• What--no Madeira; great substitute for port with rich chocolate desserts, Pecan tarts, etc.--Best yet, you do not have to finish the bottle; it will last for months after opened

Bruce Smith, Wine Educatorl

Dec 24, 2010 at 10:44 AM

• Snooth User: escabar
    219686 12

A wine that you can actually keep for awhile after opening? I am intrigued!

Dec 28, 2010 at 10:51 AM

• Snooth User: ocozzie

The best dessert wine we have had recently is the Pellegrino 2008 Passito de Pantelleria. Refreshing, not too sweet. Highly recommended!

Dec 30, 2010 at 6:15 PM

• Snooth User: gloriaz

I'm surprised no mention of ice wines from niagara/st. cathrine's (canada). I enjoy vidal (niagara peninsula), kittling ridge(grimsby, ontario) among others anytime of the year....

Jan 13, 2011 at 3:51 PM

• Snooth User: April Wine

to answer a few questions from fellow posters above:

There's a 2012 Gewurztraminer Icewine from an Ontario boutique estate winery in Niagara operated by 6th & 7th generation vintners (King's Court Estate Winery)

Oct 23, 2013 at 7:48 PM