Dessert Wines for the Holidays

End your meal on a sweet note

« Prev Next » 7 of 9
2006 Winter’s Hill Vineyard Golden Nectar 15%

I couldn’t find the details on this wine, but it’s beautiful. A complex, drier wine that does have quite a bit of alcohol but in small quantities this was just delicious. A wine that can easily handle a first course, say something foie gras-ish.

This is almost angry-smelling with mineral and almond shell notes greeting the nose. With air, this turns almost weedy with wildflowers over bitter citrus zests topped with hints of sage and white pepper. Only modestly sweet with good balancing acidity, this offers up a lovely array of flavors that range from dried citrus zest to light honey, wood spice, candied nuts and a nice note of bitter apple on the finale. Well balanced and a wine that can easily be pared with savory dishes. Very fine and complex. 92pts

Find out more.

Comments

• Snooth User: ssigaud

Gregory - great article yet I was surprised not to see Muscat de Beaumes-de-Venise mentioned. I know I am biased... but I think it belongs! What say you?

Dec 22, 2010 at 12:19 PM

• I was surprised not to see Electra or Red Electra by Quady Winery on the list as it is a delicately fruity and seductively sweet dessert wine. Although my favorite didn't make the cut, I think your suggestions are well worth a try. Thanks for posting!

Dec 22, 2010 at 1:41 PM

• Snooth User: cbevacqua

Gregory, where are the Chilean dessert wines? :) Will try your suggestions. Happy holidays.

Dec 22, 2010 at 3:32 PM

• Snooth User: fbvintage

I don't like this article. Do you have some problem with port wine ? Port wine is the best, you can say there other options, but don't put any port wine in yours examples, is note very elegant.

Dec 22, 2010 at 3:37 PM

• Snooth User: mikejapan

What about the wine of kings; Tokaji?

Dec 22, 2010 at 4:59 PM

• Where are the Ice Wines?

Dec 22, 2010 at 5:43 PM

• Snooth User: spossum
    520172 3

Since it seems like most people are surprised that their favorite dessert wines didn't make the list, I'll jump on the bandwagon (knowing full well that a comprehensive list would be quite ponderous): Moscato d'Asti - one of the fastest growing categories in the US.

Dec 22, 2010 at 5:54 PM

• Wish you Merry x-mas Gregory and to all how works wis you in Snooth, Nelli

Dec 22, 2010 at 5:58 PM

• Great article. Just wondering if you're had a chance to try the Yalumba range of botrytised viogniers?

Had the Yalumba hand-picked Botrytis Viognier 2007 recently and it was delicious and very aromatic.

Best wishes for Xmas and Happy New Year. Merrill

Dec 22, 2010 at 6:40 PM

• Snooth User: Rollonose

I would reccomend Inniskillin Vidal Icewine. I am biased as I manage the winery, however it is known as one of the best dessert wines in over 70 countries.

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:02 PM

• another great choice would be gratta's dry creek zinfandel dessert wine...a real san francisco treat made locally!

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:32 PM

• Snooth User: tonymoir

Always difficult when you limit your selection to seven wines - but...no Sauternes, no Muscat de Beaumes de Venise, no port, no liqueur muscat....!

Dec 23, 2010 at 5:45 AM

• Snooth User: pazdar

Those are classics but you missed some of the great new dessert wines such as Chocolata Amor from the Pazdar Winery.

Dec 23, 2010 at 8:47 AM

• Snooth User: stormesixx

What, no eiswein? You can't leave off cabernet franc icewine. It's da bomb!

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:54 AM

• Snooth User: MikeWaters

I agree that the absence of Beaumes de Venise is strange. One of the world's greatest dessert wines, and not priced to break the bank. Also, Monbazillac is a good one.

Dec 23, 2010 at 1:10 PM

• I know there is a strong bias against fruit-based wines, but if you get a chance, try blueberry or raspberry. blueberry tastes like a sweet merlot and raspberry is like cassis.

Dec 23, 2010 at 1:58 PM

• What--no Madeira; great substitute for port with rich chocolate desserts, Pecan tarts, etc.--Best yet, you do not have to finish the bottle; it will last for months after opened

Bruce Smith, Wine Educatorl

Dec 24, 2010 at 10:44 AM

• Snooth User: escabar
    219686 12

A wine that you can actually keep for awhile after opening? I am intrigued!

Dec 28, 2010 at 10:51 AM

• Snooth User: ocozzie

The best dessert wine we have had recently is the Pellegrino 2008 Passito de Pantelleria. Refreshing, not too sweet. Highly recommended!

Dec 30, 2010 at 6:15 PM

• Snooth User: gloriaz

I'm surprised no mention of ice wines from niagara/st. cathrine's (canada). I enjoy vidal (niagara peninsula), kittling ridge(grimsby, ontario) among others anytime of the year....

Jan 13, 2011 at 3:51 PM

• Snooth User: April Wine

to answer a few questions from fellow posters above:

There's a 2012 Gewurztraminer Icewine from an Ontario boutique estate winery in Niagara operated by 6th & 7th generation vintners (King's Court Estate Winery)

Oct 23, 2013 at 7:48 PM