Cycling and Pousadas Adventure in Alentejo, Portugal

An adventure across a beautiful land

« Prev Next » 2 of 5
The Week Begins

I started my week-long journey in Alvito, where I stayed in the Pousada de Alvito, a 15th century castle in the middle of town. I took a stroll through the castle gardens before settling into a nice bottle of local Alentejo red and dinner at the pousada.

On my first day of cycling, I headed off into the Alentejo plain towards Ėvora. The riding was flat and I had a steady tailwind that made it feel like I was being pushed forward. I pedaled through tiny towns, passing people moving in that slow, rural pace you find in the country. I checked out some pottery in Viana do Alentejo in a shop near the town's castle before visiting the Church of Senhora de Aires. I had a nice lunch at a local tasca (a typical cafe in the region) before pedaling on to Evora.
There, I stayed in the Pousada de Evora, next to the Roman ruins in town. I tasted some delicious local Cartuxa red wine by the pool before dinner and a good night's sleep.

Photo courtesy of Pousadas.pt

Comments

• Alentejo (Portugal) Is a great place to taste good food with fantastic wine.
    Great red wines.

Jun 04, 2012 at 5:59 PM

• Hi Snooth
    Come to the Vini Portugal Grand tasting this wednesday and look for Enoforum.
    Taste some great Alentejo reds - white as well.
    Look for Herdade Da Comporta - it is from the coastal region of Alentejo - DOC Setubal Penninsula.
    Let me know if you need an invite - adele@valuevines.com

Jun 04, 2012 at 8:01 PM

• Snooth User: NeuWiner

Esporao offers outstanding reds- TN, Quatro castas and the Private Reserve. 2008 is an outstanding year for all three wines. However, it is Setubal's Quinta da Bacalhoa Cabernet Sauvignon that impressed me the most. Cheers Alentejo!

Jun 04, 2012 at 9:23 PM

• Snooth User: badeye

Filipe has that right. Alentejo wines are consistently good, and are on par with anything from Douro and Dao (and most everywhere else, for that matter). And the food! Pork and clams(!) Alentejano is one of the world's great dishes. Try it at Luar de Janeiro in Evora, assuming you can find it on those back streets.

Jun 04, 2012 at 10:43 PM

• I have been in Portugal last year in august: I found great food, great wine, beautiful places, no traffic at all on the routes, low rate for hotel, restaurant...It's a place to be! Taste EA wines.

Jun 05, 2012 at 2:36 AM

• Taking the cue I shall try on cycle at Bordeaux next year.This year I have just done Tuscany,Chianti,Veneto and Ferenze areas of Italy.Wonderful experience.
    Notes on Portugal too collected.

Jun 05, 2012 at 11:57 PM

• Excellent article. The Alentejo is also great for hiking. Particularly its Rota Vicentina: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/mat...

Jun 16, 2013 at 2:29 PM