Cycling and Pousadas Adventure in Alentejo, Portugal

An adventure across a beautiful land

Next » 1 of 5
Cycling and Pousadas Adventure in Alentejo, Portugal Portugal has been producing some terrific wines lately, so I decided to head there for some bicycling and wine tasting. Even though the Duoro is home to Portugal's most popular wines, I headed to the Alentejo region to stay in some lovely pousadas I've had my eye on.

Pousadas are a network of luxury hotels located in some of the most historically important buildings in Portugal, including castles, palaces and convents. It's like staying in a luxury museum with a pool and a fantastic restaurant.

Alentejo is at the forefront of Portugal's wine revolution and the region is home to some fantastic reds. The land is flat and the sun was shining in early April and I was on my way.

Photo courtesy of Portuguese_eyes via Flickr/cc

Comments

• Alentejo (Portugal) Is a great place to taste good food with fantastic wine.
    Great red wines.

Jun 04, 2012 at 5:59 PM

• Hi Snooth
    Come to the Vini Portugal Grand tasting this wednesday and look for Enoforum.
    Taste some great Alentejo reds - white as well.
    Look for Herdade Da Comporta - it is from the coastal region of Alentejo - DOC Setubal Penninsula.
    Let me know if you need an invite - adele@valuevines.com

Jun 04, 2012 at 8:01 PM

• Snooth User: NeuWiner

Esporao offers outstanding reds- TN, Quatro castas and the Private Reserve. 2008 is an outstanding year for all three wines. However, it is Setubal's Quinta da Bacalhoa Cabernet Sauvignon that impressed me the most. Cheers Alentejo!

Jun 04, 2012 at 9:23 PM

• Snooth User: badeye

Filipe has that right. Alentejo wines are consistently good, and are on par with anything from Douro and Dao (and most everywhere else, for that matter). And the food! Pork and clams(!) Alentejano is one of the world's great dishes. Try it at Luar de Janeiro in Evora, assuming you can find it on those back streets.

Jun 04, 2012 at 10:43 PM

• I have been in Portugal last year in august: I found great food, great wine, beautiful places, no traffic at all on the routes, low rate for hotel, restaurant...It's a place to be! Taste EA wines.

Jun 05, 2012 at 2:36 AM

• Taking the cue I shall try on cycle at Bordeaux next year.This year I have just done Tuscany,Chianti,Veneto and Ferenze areas of Italy.Wonderful experience.
    Notes on Portugal too collected.

Jun 05, 2012 at 11:57 PM

• Excellent article. The Alentejo is also great for hiking. Particularly its Rota Vicentina: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/mat...

Jun 16, 2013 at 2:29 PM