Austrian Mountain Reds

GDP shares cooler climate Austrian wine suggestions

« Prev Next » 7 of 9
2011 Kirchmayr Zweigelt Thermenregion 13% $15

Spicy and woodsy on the nose with deep purple floral scents, lots of crushed wild blackberry and spicy blueberry fruit and a touch of something meaty and vaguely Syrah-like. Snappy on entry, with the softness and sweetness of ripeness but nicely spiky acidity keeping the palate fresh and lively. The back end reveals something a bit more chocolatey or slightly cooked about the black raspberry fruit which all leads to a slightly herbal, bright, clean, crisp modest finish. Very friendly and easy to drink while remaining varietally correct. 86pts Find it Here

Comments

• Snooth User: courgette

Thanks for the Austro-boosterism here, Greg. I fell in love with Zweigelt a couple of years ago, via Brundl's liters (which I buy at Minneapolis' Surdyk's). I served it at a party recently, and everyone kept grabbing the bottle to be sure they remembered it!

Feb 05, 2013 at 2:16 PM

• Snooth User: yoyoma

The glass stoppers and the red/white/red tops make it worth the search. Didn't know you could still find Zantho Zweigelt. Darn good, and restaurants triple charge for it.
    Try ZVY-GELT

Feb 05, 2013 at 7:47 PM

• Thanks for the info. Will be in Innsbruck next week am looking forward to trying their whites but prefer reds and now I have an idea of what to try. Jack

Feb 06, 2013 at 2:14 AM

• Sounds interesting. Any NY or Northwestern US wineries getting into these varietals?

Feb 06, 2013 at 6:02 AM

• Snooth User: guitarman

I enjoy reading these articles as I'm still trying to learn more about Wine. There's also another wine from that part of the world made by Toni Hartl, which I've heard is good but can't seem to find where or how to purchase some and I can't get a reponse from their website. Any suggestions?

Feb 06, 2013 at 11:54 AM

• Love the Blaufränkisch http://winecompass.blogspot.com/201...

Feb 08, 2013 at 7:35 AM

• Left when I was 6, not sure what the wines were at the family table. Guess I should start "visiting" the homeland.

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:27 AM