Austrian Mountain Reds

GDP shares cooler climate Austrian wine suggestions

« Prev Next » 5 of 9
2011 Pfaff Austrian Cherry Zweigelt 13% $15

Tight but clean on the nose with subtle dried herb notes early on, followed by black fruit, gravel and cinnamon. The wine enters the mouth showing very little fruit but lots of acid, though it does broaden in the mouth, gaining a certain level of richness. There are some fairly significant tannins here, soft but abundant, and lovely hints of violet and blueberry-accented fruit on the mid palate, though it fades quickly on the finish, leaving behind some lovely black cherry and floral inner mouth perfumes and those slightly tacky tannins and juicy acidity. This will need a bit of time to open, though it does show fine balance and lovely aromatics in the mouth. 83 points today, plus 5 or so with 2-6 months of rest. Find it Here

Comments

• Snooth User: courgette

Thanks for the Austro-boosterism here, Greg. I fell in love with Zweigelt a couple of years ago, via Brundl's liters (which I buy at Minneapolis' Surdyk's). I served it at a party recently, and everyone kept grabbing the bottle to be sure they remembered it!

Feb 05, 2013 at 2:16 PM

• Snooth User: yoyoma

The glass stoppers and the red/white/red tops make it worth the search. Didn't know you could still find Zantho Zweigelt. Darn good, and restaurants triple charge for it.
    Try ZVY-GELT

Feb 05, 2013 at 7:47 PM

• Thanks for the info. Will be in Innsbruck next week am looking forward to trying their whites but prefer reds and now I have an idea of what to try. Jack

Feb 06, 2013 at 2:14 AM

• Sounds interesting. Any NY or Northwestern US wineries getting into these varietals?

Feb 06, 2013 at 6:02 AM

• Snooth User: guitarman

I enjoy reading these articles as I'm still trying to learn more about Wine. There's also another wine from that part of the world made by Toni Hartl, which I've heard is good but can't seem to find where or how to purchase some and I can't get a reponse from their website. Any suggestions?

Feb 06, 2013 at 11:54 AM

• Love the Blaufränkisch http://winecompass.blogspot.com/201...

Feb 08, 2013 at 7:35 AM

• Left when I was 6, not sure what the wines were at the family table. Guess I should start "visiting" the homeland.

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:27 AM