Austrian Mountain Reds

GDP shares cooler climate Austrian wine suggestions

« Prev Next » 3 of 9
2010 Juris Zweigelt Selection Burgenland 13% $17

Soft and slightly funky on the nose with notes of something vaguely recalling boiled pig skin lying under beautiful candied medicinal and violet tones. There’s some dried mushroom here as well, a nice base of juniper-laced blackberries. Broad and soft on entry, this is really open for business texturally with finely polished fruit tannins and juicy acidity in fine balance with the earth, red berry, plum and cherry fruit. Neither terribly complex nor deep, this is almost luxurious and shows surprising persistence and density on the long finish. 88pts Find it Here

Comments

• Snooth User: courgette

Thanks for the Austro-boosterism here, Greg. I fell in love with Zweigelt a couple of years ago, via Brundl's liters (which I buy at Minneapolis' Surdyk's). I served it at a party recently, and everyone kept grabbing the bottle to be sure they remembered it!

Feb 05, 2013 at 2:16 PM

• Snooth User: yoyoma

The glass stoppers and the red/white/red tops make it worth the search. Didn't know you could still find Zantho Zweigelt. Darn good, and restaurants triple charge for it.
    Try ZVY-GELT

Feb 05, 2013 at 7:47 PM

• Thanks for the info. Will be in Innsbruck next week am looking forward to trying their whites but prefer reds and now I have an idea of what to try. Jack

Feb 06, 2013 at 2:14 AM

• Sounds interesting. Any NY or Northwestern US wineries getting into these varietals?

Feb 06, 2013 at 6:02 AM

• Snooth User: guitarman

I enjoy reading these articles as I'm still trying to learn more about Wine. There's also another wine from that part of the world made by Toni Hartl, which I've heard is good but can't seem to find where or how to purchase some and I can't get a reponse from their website. Any suggestions?

Feb 06, 2013 at 11:54 AM

• Love the Blaufränkisch http://winecompass.blogspot.com/201...

Feb 08, 2013 at 7:35 AM

• Left when I was 6, not sure what the wines were at the family table. Guess I should start "visiting" the homeland.

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:27 AM