Aged Sangivoese Tasting Notes

Siepi vs. Percarlo - a vintage showdown

« Prev Next » 11 of 19
1998

Here’s a vintage I’ve generally avoided in Tuscany. Not that great wines weren’t made, it’s just that on release the wines tasted a bit out of balance, high in alcohol and definitely quite ripe, without the freshness that even the 1997s exhibited on release.

That remains the story today. Again, this was a period of oak-ophilia in Italy, so it’s not surprising that both wines were marked by wood. As with the 1997, the Percarlo was just an extracted, oaky mess, gritty and drying on the palate. There is plenty of fruit there, heavily extracted fruit, but today it’s all being beaten down by smoldering two-by-fours.

The Siepi showed a bit of the heat of the vintage and oak but still managed to be complex and interesting, if marred by some poopy brett. It might have had a hint of TCA, but if so, under the brett so it was impossible to be sure. Even with all its problems, I still preferred it to the Percarlo.

Three to nothing?!

Comments

• Snooth User: lawdown

Surely, Biondi-Santi Brunellos, first produced in the late 19th Century and still drinkable from that period, are worth a mention when discussing the ability of sangiovese wines to age.

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:52 PM

• Snooth User: Alikhan

Gregory, try the older Montevertine Le Pergole Torte. For me the real guardian of the holy grail Sangiovese in Chianti and the only one who still uses 100% Sangiovese grapes for his wines. Nothing else. No Blends, No Bullshit. That is why he has stopped using the Chianti Label and calls his wines just Rosso (Red), but they remain mind-blowing for Sangiovese lovers and are quite pricey but worth every penny. Regards from Hamburg, Germany, Imtiaz Alikhan

Mar 15, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Hi lawdown, Yes Biondi Santi is important in Brunello and a very fine wine, but I try to focus on wines I might buy and that my readers might buy. I tend not to buy wines over $100 a bottle, and many of my reader think even that is insanity.

Hi Imtiaz,
    Thanks for the note, but you are preaching tothe choir my friend! Check out my last vertical with Montevertine here: http://www.snooth.com/articles/tast...

And if you like Montevertine, check out Poggio di Sotto. Brunello that is usually just under $100 a bottle over here, but notably less in Italy and cut from much the same cloth.

Mar 15, 2012 at 2:27 PM

• Snooth User: Gavilan Vineyards

Down here in Argentina we have very little Sangiovese plants left. They are considered common grapes. Go figure. Last weekend I was looking at a vineyard for sale of a friend and he has 8ha of Sangiovese. They got hit early in the year with hail so he has very very little hanging but what is still there is exceptional in quality.
    So I thought, well, lets make at least a barrel of Sangiovese. Not that it has 'aged' yet, it has not even started the fermentation. We prolonged the skin contact without fermenting by cooling the crush. So tonight the coolers come out and we will start fermenting.
    Once can only hope it will produce an excellent wine. If that is the case, I will graft one hectare in our vineyards to Sangiovese.

Mar 15, 2012 at 4:39 PM

• Snooth User: lawdown

The issue is not which Sangiovese we would prefer to buy for the price, the issue -- as defined by the author -- was simply can Sangiovese wines age.

Mar 15, 2012 at 9:03 PM

• Snooth User: Villa Ragazzi

This may be less relevant to your discussion, which is focused entirely on Italian wines, but I can attest that at least two Napa Valley Sangioveses age very well -- Villa Ragazzi and La Sirena -- as noted in this blog entry on a recent tasting of the 1998 vintage: http://www.villaragazziwine.com/1/c...

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:30 PM

• Snooth User: Wisequeen Donna Jackson

I think if youre a lover of sangio then I suggest you include Michele Satta 100% sangiovese Cavaliere it will stand up well in that company. nothing wrong with bias we all have our favourites. I have reviewed Sattas pioneer IGT wines over years and hes a good sangio blender. Siepi is not an easy ride, it can be at times what the Italians call bisbetica -- difficult

Apr 05, 2012 at 1:45 PM