A Valentine's Day Dinner and the Wines to Pair With It

5 delicious ways to please your valentine

Next » 1 of 7
A Valentine's Day Dinner and the Wines to Pair With It Okay, now you’re in trouble. Valentine’s is right around the corner and you’ve yet to score your coveted reservation. What a huge problem! Or is it?

Based on my many years of experience in the biz, I have to say that people who go out for a Valentine’s Day dinner are generally regarded as suckers! Pay big bucks for a hurried, fixed menu dinner that’s overpriced and underwhelming. Is this really the best way to tell someone you love them? Heck no!

Show your love is by preparing a home cooked meal, something that both you and your loved one will enjoy. Sexy, saucy, scrumptious delights, all paired with great wines. Want some suggestions that should rock your world? Check out these five pairings, perfect for adding spark to your sensual night.

Photo courtesy Dustin Diaz via Flickr/CC

Comments

• We'll probably start with a couple glasses of a nice Champagne; then have half-bottle of a Barbera or Dolcetto with our starters, followed by a full bottle of Barbaresco or Barolo with our main courses. Then if we have dessert, we pick something that goes with it.

Feb 10, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Hi Dick,

That's a nice plan. Sounds like my kind of dinner. Let us know how it goes!

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:29 PM

• Snooth User: juicelover

dick, sounds like a great play with the wine choices. for a finish try the Castello del Poggio Moscato. great finish for the sweets. got mine at winemall.com

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:43 PM

• Snooth User: EMark

Valentine's Day is, generally, not a big occassion in our household. (We've been married for 35 years. So, I don't think either of us need any advice.) However, I just realized how incongruous our plans are, this year.

After my wife's drawing class on Tuesday, we are going to drive up to the Tehachapi Mountains to spend a few days with two gay guys at their cabin. Believe me, the date is coincidental. Not your classic romantic getaway plan, but I guarantee that I will go into the cellar to pick out some good wines to share.

Oh, and I did save off both the fig recipes. They sound great.

Feb 10, 2012 at 4:32 PM

• And the steak recipe is located....where?

Feb 10, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I just fixed the link to the steak recipe. Apologies for the error of not including it originally.

Feb 10, 2012 at 7:01 PM

• Thank you for the quick fix (to the link)! I"ll be doing the cooking this Valentine's Day but, to date, I'm only well prepared with wine - and a few ideas. Married for 48 years - but still need all the advice that I can get (sometimes, it's nice being a slow learner).

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:09 AM