A Case of Roses in July

Some Great Roses for the Summer

Well if now is not the moment for enjoying a few roses I don't know what is. Yes there are tons of people out there who will argue that roses are great year round, but let's be honest,  they're better when it's 90 degrees out; trust me on this.

Of course there are roses, and there are roses. Some are light, fresh and elegant while others may be rich, meaty and dense, and don't get me started on the residual sugar that many of these wines carry on their sleeves, not that I have a problem with residual sugar per se. I do however have a problem with not knowing how sweet a wine may be until after I've openinged it. Here's a suggestion, add the sweetness level to your labels people. I bet it will increase sales as it makes it easier for people to find what the like when they want it!

I found some lovely wines in this case, so check out my reviews for an idea about what the wines are like but don't miss the video where I discuss how to take advantage of the variety of styles roses have to offer.
Related video

The highest scoring wines isn't always the "best"! Find out why, and discover four great roses for this summer.

I could have just run down the list of wines in the video, reading off the top 5 roses but the truth of the matter is that point scores offer a limited source of information. Saying higher rated wines are always better is somewhat akin to saying that a Ferrari is always better, even when what you really need is a Crown Vic or Caravan!

No, instead what I've done here is to share my thoughts on the wines I liked the most, for different occasions and at different price points. A rose served with burgers to a crowd should be different than a rose served with grilled salmon and lentils de Puy to a few fellow foodies. Lets try and make better use of point scores moving forward, simply by relying on them less. They certainly are a convenient shorthand to denote relative quality but they can't convey the most important qualities of a wine, namely style and if you're going to like the wine.

My top wines follow here but the video is worth watching to get a better idea of the style of four different and attractive roses!

Roses in July

Paul Hobbs Crossbarn Rose of Pinot Noir (2012)
List It
Chateau d'Aqueria Tavel Rose (2011)
List It
Gary Farrell Rose of Pinot Noir Russian River Selection (2012)
List It
Beckmen Vineyards Grenache Rose (2012)
List It
Apaltagua Carmenere Rose (2012)
List It
Fox Run Vineyards Rose (2012)
List It
Tess Red White Blend Napa Valley (NV)
List It
Rose Eccoci (2011)
List It
Finca Torremilanos Ribera del Duero Montecastrillo Rosado (2012)
List It
10.
Waterbrook Rose of Sangiovese (2012)
List It
11.
Gioia Rosato di Sangiovese (2011)
List It

Comments

• Snooth User: colcty

Recently had Cline, Mouvedre rose'. Excellent value, keeping a case on hand at all times.
    Bob

Jul 09, 2013 at 12:59 PM

• Oregon's Winderlea makes a delightful rose' of Pinot Noir - and love the Provence - almost any of them - Domaine Ott one of the best.

Jul 09, 2013 at 1:29 PM

• Snooth User: ecowper

Had a bottle of Terra Valentine's Rose of Pinot Noir last night .... with grilled salmon in Moroccan spices and cold lentil salad, even. And it was perfect for a warm summer evening. I've had the Gary Farrell Rose, really nice too. My wife and I prefer a Cremant Rose to most Champagnes for more casual bubbles.

Jul 09, 2013 at 2:48 PM

• Snooth User: mfoarde

Quivira makes a wonderful, refreshing rose that is dry but not too tart.

Jul 09, 2013 at 2:59 PM

• Snooth User: paca

Charles and Charles Rose...

Jul 09, 2013 at 5:55 PM

• Snooth User: EMark

I think I want to be invited to Ecowper's house for dinner some time. :-)

On the rose topic, I'll give a shout-out to the Mauritson Rockpile Rose made from Cabernet Franc, Malbec and Merlot.

Jul 09, 2013 at 6:32 PM

• Snooth User: BobRawski

We enjoy the Tavel listed above, as well as Les Jamelles Cinsault, Marques de Caseres Rioja, and Bieler Père et Fils. We have been drinking lots of rose ever since spending a week in St. Victor la Coste outside Avignon in 2008 and realizing rose isn't just zinfindel. We've been exploring roses ever since. From French to Italian to Spanish to domestic (really like Washington State ones). Definitely great wine for the summer, but we now drink it year round. So many great dry roses out there!

Jul 09, 2013 at 9:11 PM

• Snooth User: DM94523

I really like the DeLoach Rosé of Pinot Noir, available from Boisset's Wine Living at Home division (http://www.boissetwineliving.com/de...). Buena Vista also has a nice Rosé, as does JCB!

Jul 10, 2013 at 3:10 AM

• Snooth User: Sintpeter
    820577 4

A wonderful segment that put me in the "pink". We had this on the 4th - a Bieler Pere et Fils from Provence that accompanied grilled prawns piri piri. 50% Syrah, 30% Grenache, 20% Cab - 100% delightful.
    Also try the South African Mulderbosch Rose with its distinctive Cape notes and noticeable for its long black embossed cigar-like label down the neck. Underrated and pleasantly under priced.

Jul 10, 2013 at 8:19 AM

• Snooth User: cares22

Triennes Rose is my favorite. Floral and dry. So nice.

Jul 10, 2013 at 8:47 AM

• If you're in the Willamette Valley this weekend, don't miss Drink Pink! 24 rose wines served up with live music & paella. Oh yum: http://pattonvalley.com/drink-pink-...

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:27 AM

• Snooth User: vin0vin0

A while back we did a side by side of Les Vignes des Precheurs Tavel, Rochioli Pinot Noir Rose, Scherrer Rose and Domaine Sainte Lucie "MIP". All were excellent but the Scherrer came out as the crowd favorite.

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:45 PM

• Adelsheim makes a crisp, dry inviting rose… one I'll be buying more of!

Jul 10, 2013 at 1:58 PM

• Hey, don't forget Bandol and a Cabernet rose can be quite nice as well.

Jul 11, 2013 at 7:05 PM