8 Funky New Ways to Package Wine

A look at alternative wine bottling

« Prev Next » 4 of 10
Bag-In-Box

Probably the most well-known, non-glass alternative, Bag-In-box (BIB) wines have soared in popularity. Today, you can find a wider selection of BIB wines than ever before, and word on the street is they can actually be quite good.

Photo courtesy yortw via Flickr/CC

Comments

• I sold wine in cans in the 80,s in my shop, Weck's Wine and Cheese, in Burlington Vt.I also sold french wine in 5 gallon barrels in WashingonD.C. at the Georgrtown Wine And Cheese Shop in the 60,s in deflatable bags.Wine in boxes were availble in the 70's.So the attempt to find an alternative to glass started long ago

Sep 26, 2011 at 12:24 PM

• Snooth User: cokkinos

I like glass thank you. I feel it is the most inert for keeping the wine clean and safe, I do not want any BPA or aluminum with my wine. Besides glass is very recyclable. Cheers to the bottle!

Michael Cokkinos

Sep 26, 2011 at 1:36 PM

• Snooth User: courgette

Of these, I'be likeliest to go with something which recycles as successfully as glass-- that would be the aluminum bottles (or those Coppola cans, although sparkling wine out of a can doesn't appeal). I've seen those ceramic bottles-- pretty un-green, IMO, as they're both heavier than glass (making them more energy-guzzling to ship) and unrecyclable! Straight to the landfill.

As for the PET pre-filled glasses, I wonder how recyclable they are. After loving them at Snooth HQ, what did you do with them? In our community, they specify "bottles with necks" for plastic recycling-- I imagine the relative ease of sorting outweighs the rejection of non-bottle containers.

Sep 26, 2011 at 1:39 PM

• Snooth User: winetastinginLA

I'm fine with wine in a bottle. It's way more "sexy"

Sep 26, 2011 at 2:47 PM

• Snooth User: Chris Carpita

PET bottles have a few advantages - they are recyclable like glass - in NYC you can recycle any plastic you would call a "bottle" or "jug" - also it cuts down on half the weight of shipping. Glass bottles are sexy of course, but you burn a lot more fossil fuels to physically deliver bottled glass compared to something like aluminum or plastic.

Then again, ecologically the best way to ship wine is in reusable aluminum kegs, which you would use to fill a growler, or your own bottle/cork if you like. Sexy and green, baby.

Sep 26, 2011 at 5:35 PM

• My Favorite won the "innovation in drinks 2011" Award at the london IFE .. the U-Tube. http://www.ukuvaiafrica.co.za

Sep 26, 2011 at 5:36 PM

• Snooth User: Gavilan Vineyards

Yes I guess you can package wine in all vesels that hold liquid. The question is how viable that then it. Aluminum cans? Seriously? A plastic keg? I can see a fast to drink wine in a plastic pouch. IN this case a wine. Easy to store, light to ship, easy to handle and fast to drink.
    From all those the only innovation that is worth keeping an eye out is the cube with the inside plastic liner that shrinks, and at the same time protects the liquid from contact with O2. Other than that...marketing ploys for wine that is most likely not as good as the packing promises and most important, an expensive packaging that the consumer (You) has to pay for.

Sep 26, 2011 at 5:38 PM

• I've become a believer in box wines due to the good economics and reasonable quality. I doubt the wine by the glass (in plastic) will go over except for the Ted Mack'ers. Clever yes, but I've been to many tastings and plastic seems to add some aroma/flavor negatives. But if they can eliminate that, should be great for parties. I also think glass has some insulation not found in some of the cans/milk cartons and that can reduce wide temperature swings for those like myself w/o controlled temps for storage.

Sep 26, 2011 at 5:45 PM

• We've been bottling our Greener Planet Sustainable Languedoc wines in PET for 18 months now, and have examples that were bottled over 24 monts ago that still taste terrific. If you consider the entire life-cycle of the package from manufacture through sale and consumption to recycling, PET is environmentally remarkably good. Bottles weigh little (54g v 350g for the lightest glass bottle) and can be easily recycled into Patagonia fleeces.

Sep 26, 2011 at 5:48 PM

• Wine in a box?

Is that like cigars in a bottle?

Http://www.Sedimentblog.com

Sep 26, 2011 at 5:58 PM

• Snooth User: Chris Carpita

@robertjoseph - what if I don't like patagonia fleeces? ;) - seriously though, that's really cool - it's tough to buck an established trend, especially in the wine world - in your opinion, how viable are 100% recycled PET for this kind of use, and is there a point in the future where that might be feasible? Biodegradable might not work, but it would be awesome if the bottles didn't have to come from "virgin" sources

Sep 26, 2011 at 6:06 PM

• I don't particularly care if I drink good wines out of plastic or glass unless the expected outcome is modified in some way. A few years back at the intl wine tasting in NO, the show was ending and I noted a seller under a Phelps sign. Went over and noted a 1/2 bottle of Insignia and asked if I could have a taste. W/o my glass, I picked up a small plastic glass which was filled to about 2 ounces. I expected some mischief but there was none. Either the power of the contents removed any mods or there weren't any and that was 3 cent plastic. Being in the renewable energy business I promote green but it is subject to steamroller marketing. If the economics are good for plastic and there are no (or insignificant) after effects, bring it on. Besides, plastic has been 'in' since I heard the facts from within Dustin's swim goggles awhile back..
    Sedrick H.

Sep 26, 2011 at 7:03 PM

• Snooth User: camoh

I love bottles for home, entertaining, and in the restaurant. However for a NASCAR race you can't beat the convenience of putting your plastic bag, sans the box, in your cooler to take into the track. I have had the enjoyment of experiencing a nice 2 or 3 liter bag for a 6 plus hour race with cheese and other hors d'ouvres. (It takes less space than a six pack of beer, too!

Sep 26, 2011 at 8:30 PM

• Plastic bottles have one major flaw. They let oxygen enter through the plastic with wines in plastic being oxydized within a year after bottling. Drink those wines in plastic as soon after bottling so they won't be ruined.
    I remember the Mateus bottles of the 1960's in ceramic containers. Whatever happened to them?
    Wines are fairly acidic so I am not sure how those metals will react with wines over a period of time. One of the more unusal wine containers is a recycleable stainless steel container with screw plug cap that is left on your porch step in California. When finished consuming, call them up for a container pickup and they will leave you a full container in return if ordered.
    One of the sustainable glass recycling projects is being done in California with laser imaging to sort through the 180+ wine bottle sizes. I wonder how that project is progressing?

Sep 26, 2011 at 8:41 PM

• solo vetro per il buon vino ( only glass for good wine).
    e' una buona idea utilizzare il bicchiere al posto della bottiglia ma , come si tappa il bicchiere ? con quale materiale?
    It'as a good idea to use glasses instead of bottles but, what will you use to top the glass? aluminium ? pvc?
    naaaaa .....

Sep 27, 2011 at 2:52 AM

• Snooth User: Jean Jules

And what do you think of wine in tubes for sampling the wine ?

Sep 27, 2011 at 9:23 AM

• wine in tubes?really brilliant for shipping multiple tasting samples, although, I wonder how the wine evolves, or IF it evolves?

Sep 29, 2011 at 7:55 AM

• I tasted Red Truck from the mini barrel about two years ago at the San Diego Wine & Food Festival. This particular one had received high markets from one of the wine mags. Tasted deceit but didn't knock off my socks. This looks great for a party. I really like the idea though of Astra Pouch. I'll have to look for this one.
    thewinegospel