7 Top Rioja Wines

Kicking off #GTiTempranillo

« Prev Next » 2 of 9
2007 Vina Palaciega Rioja Crianza 13%

Low and a bit heavy on the nose, with a deep core of dark wood underlay, with chocolate dipped cherry fruit and some coconut and mint accents. This is light and fresh on the palate with lovely brightness. The tannins are well balanced, adding some mouthgrab to what seems at first to be a rather lightweight wine. With air, more fruit emerges in a sort of macerated raspberry/strawberry vein with a lovely bright note, maybe combining a touch of chalk with some unripe strawberry. That unripe strawberry arrives on the finish as well, which is rather long and well structured. A background of aromatic oak supports a combination of fresh and dried red berry fruit. This is lovely Crianza, expressive but lean and taut. 89pts

Find out more!

Comments

• Yes, hard not to come back to classic seductive Rioja in the autumn and winter. Here's a piece on my blog on the sublime La Rioja Alta winery, which might get the red juices flowing:
    Enjoy!

Nov 02, 2011 at 2:35 PM

• Snooth User: DEVINOS
    191918 0

You choosed de cheap and not so good Rioja´s,except Sierra Cantabria,why,cause the price ?

Nov 02, 2011 at 3:56 PM

• Snooth User: MamaDunn

I know one of the "Top U.S." Airline serves a California, " Match Book" Temp, on their International Flights. And I know it is Delicious ! Only, I haven't been able to find it on the East Coast ! Drat's ! ! !

Nov 02, 2011 at 5:41 PM

• Snooth User: pilon99

Rioja have best wines like 890 made by Rio Alta; Trasnocho by Remirez de Gaunza or "La Nieta" by Viñedos Paganos. All this wines made Tempranillo grapes.

Nov 02, 2011 at 7:31 PM

• Snooth User: StevenE

Being from Texas, I like to check their offerings. I am currently enjoying a Tempranillo by Texas Hills winery. This is the first Tempranillo I have tried. Now I am a novice and describe wines by saying things like "Mmmm, that tastes really good", or "Wow that is a little off." Being a dry red type of person, I like this wine and at around $15 a bottle, this will be a nice way to mix things up at the table this winter. Now to try some other Tempranillos.

Nov 03, 2011 at 12:04 PM

• My experience with Tempranillo has been unpredictable--sometimes a great wine at a great price; sometimes a decent wine that's a bit pricey; sometimes a wine that just about murders my taste buds at a hefty price. So, thank you for this guide I will print it out and take it with me when wine shopping for this season. (I love Spain and the Rioja region, and I want to love Tempranillo ,too!)

Nov 03, 2011 at 3:31 PM

• I have to agree that this list isn't really representative of "the best" from Rioja. The top pick is only rated 89 points. I know these are relatively inexpensive, but IMHO there are better Riojas out there for about the same prices. Piscina Seleccion crianza 2005 is much better and is in the same price range.

Nov 17, 2011 at 5:14 PM