7 Top Rioja Wines

Kicking off #GTiTempranillo

Next » 1 of 9
7 Top Rioja Wines As the weather cools, so does my penchant for white wines. Not that I stop drinking white entirely during the winter months of course, it’s just that there is something warm and hearty about red wine that takes the chill off these darkening days. And besides, as autumn’s bounty delivers heartier fare, the wine has to keep pace!

So with that, we’ve switched over to our latest feature in Snooth’s Global Tasting Initiative, Tempranillo! As you might expect, this will be a rather Rioja-heavy set of weeks, but I encourage you all to try Tempranillo wines from around the globe. This versatile variety is well suited to many of the warmer regions of the globe, as it has become used to the heat and dry conditions it has encountered in its historical homeland for centuries.

And that historical homeland is of course Rioja, where I will start our journey. I begin with some of the top performing wines that fall in the Crianza(ish) category. Need a refresher on what that means? Be sure to check out my previously published Guide to Rioja. Now, let’s take a look at some of the wines.

Comments

• Yes, hard not to come back to classic seductive Rioja in the autumn and winter. Here's a piece on my blog on the sublime La Rioja Alta winery, which might get the red juices flowing:
    Enjoy!

Nov 02, 2011 at 2:35 PM

• Snooth User: DEVINOS
    191918 0

You choosed de cheap and not so good Rioja´s,except Sierra Cantabria,why,cause the price ?

Nov 02, 2011 at 3:56 PM

• Snooth User: MamaDunn

I know one of the "Top U.S." Airline serves a California, " Match Book" Temp, on their International Flights. And I know it is Delicious ! Only, I haven't been able to find it on the East Coast ! Drat's ! ! !

Nov 02, 2011 at 5:41 PM

• Snooth User: pilon99

Rioja have best wines like 890 made by Rio Alta; Trasnocho by Remirez de Gaunza or "La Nieta" by Viñedos Paganos. All this wines made Tempranillo grapes.

Nov 02, 2011 at 7:31 PM

• Snooth User: StevenE

Being from Texas, I like to check their offerings. I am currently enjoying a Tempranillo by Texas Hills winery. This is the first Tempranillo I have tried. Now I am a novice and describe wines by saying things like "Mmmm, that tastes really good", or "Wow that is a little off." Being a dry red type of person, I like this wine and at around $15 a bottle, this will be a nice way to mix things up at the table this winter. Now to try some other Tempranillos.

Nov 03, 2011 at 12:04 PM

• My experience with Tempranillo has been unpredictable--sometimes a great wine at a great price; sometimes a decent wine that's a bit pricey; sometimes a wine that just about murders my taste buds at a hefty price. So, thank you for this guide I will print it out and take it with me when wine shopping for this season. (I love Spain and the Rioja region, and I want to love Tempranillo ,too!)

Nov 03, 2011 at 3:31 PM

• I have to agree that this list isn't really representative of "the best" from Rioja. The top pick is only rated 89 points. I know these are relatively inexpensive, but IMHO there are better Riojas out there for about the same prices. Piscina Seleccion crianza 2005 is much better and is in the same price range.

Nov 17, 2011 at 5:14 PM