5 Top Whiskey Drinks

The most popular cocktails and how to make them

Next » 1 of 7
5 Top Whiskey Drinks In recent years, the interest in whiskey of all types has sky rocketed.

An always popular alcohol choice, the rise of male-centered, period piece television shows like Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire has driven up sales and interest even more than usual. And with the recent heightened interest in all things barrel aged, whiskey has truly begun to shine.

Whether quaffed straight, on the rocks, or in a cocktail, whiskey is a great alcohol option for anyone craving something smokier and deeper in taste than the other liquors out there.

The cocktails are classics, recalling traditions of decades passed with every pour. Take one sip and suddenly you're reminded of those drinkers before you, inadvertently gaining a sense of sophistication and class that though enjoyable, is more imagined than earned. But hey, that's where the real fun lies, isn't it?

So for when you're ready to don those whiskey goggles and become the more sophisticated version of yourself, here are the top five most popular whiskey cocktails and how to make them. Be sure to let us know you're favorite whiskey cocktail below.

Photo courtesy Kenn Wilson via Flickr/CC

Comments

• Snooth User: Amanda Schuster

Solid choices here. Although I would substitute all the powdered sugar or superfine sugar (who does that?) with simple syrup, about 1/4 -1/2 oz to taste.

Also, one can argue that rye would be better than Bourbon in the Manhattan and Sazerac, certainly in the latter. As for the Old Fashioned and Sour, those are definitely Bourbon or rye drinks. Blended whiskey is best for a Rob Roy (essentially a Manhattan with blended Scotch).

But please don't say these are "male-centric" drinks, even in the context of the shows. I personally know a larger percentage of women than men that drink and enjoy these on a regular basis. Besides, ever notice how well Peggy keeps up with Don?

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:29 AM

• Snooth User: Kate Statton

Not male-centric drinks at all, male-centric TV shows!

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:33 AM

• Snooth User: Amanda Schuster

Ok, not male-centric drinks.

Although I think Mad Men is very much about both genders, and also depicts both women and men drinking (and smoking) a lot. But agreed that it has done a LOT to promote a more mainstream cocktail culture and inspire people to revisit and riff on classic recipes.

Boardwalk Empire? Yeah, solidly male-centric for sure.

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:44 AM

• Snooth User: cmajka

Bourbon in a Sazerac? What is this, amateur hour?

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:44 PM

• Snooth User: glfillion

Sazerac is an American drink and what would be better than Bourbon? It's in the original recipe!!!

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:36 PM

• Snooth User: grittyk

Absolutely the most ridiculous thing I've read ... Bourbon in a Sazerac. Rye, Rye, Rye. And you need way more sugar than half a teaspoon to balance the drink. If going with 2 ounces of rye, then probably more like 1.5 teaspoons of sugar (I prefer to make simple syrup, but gradulated sugar is fine too). And the most important thing (besides not using Bourbon) is to cut the lemon peel over top of the drink a few times to allow some of the lemon essence to enter the drink (I do drop it in sometimes, but it's not necessary).

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:39 PM

• Snooth User: drum365

Pastis in a Sazerac? What is this, amateur hour? (And yes, it was RYE in the original recipe.)

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:40 PM

• Snooth User: pmosca

Sazerac recipe from the roosevelt, the home of the Sazerac.
    Use 1 cube of sugar
    3 dashes of Peychaud's bitters
    ( muddle these)
    spray the iced glass with Absinthe,
    (alternatively use the swish and toss method)
    1 1/2 oz of Sazerac Rye
    strain rye+ sugar + bitters into cold glass sprayed with absinthe
    garnish with lemon peel

The Bartender at Sazeracs showed me how. The Pastis was substituted when absinthe was unavailabel. I have actually tried Bourbon ( When I could not get Sazerac Rye which is sometimes hard to come by.) Not bad but not perfect. PS Other ryes are hit and miss. I have even tried $100 premium rye with less satisfaction than the "original" Try this recipe---you'll like it
    Phil

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:27 PM

• Snooth User: grittyk

I'm willing to try a "bourbon sazerac "... I don't mind "vodka martinis" now and again... not as as good as a martini, but different. I just don't think you should call it a "sazerac" unless it has rye as the base. The recipe above should be called a "bourbon sazerac."

Jan 19, 2012 at 8:02 PM

• Snooth User: jordanjos

The original Sazerac was made with French brandy. It was later changed to rye, and not just any rye, but Sazerac, which is still made in KY, as is Herbsaint, the preferred ingredient to Pastis or absinthe. Yes, the lemon should be twisted over the drink and never dropped into it!

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:09 PM

• Snooth User: debb071

Vodka Martinis are the only kind to drink!

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:15 PM

• I don't feel that the writer has any connection or love for the subject matter. Now, that wouldn't matter so much except this is a website/blog on the subject of spirits. The recipes are a mess, and while yes, I could offer corrections most of these other commenters have covered it. Poor recipes aside, the fact that cocktails and whiskey are being consumed on television is just lazy writing. Since the subject was brought up though, you might want to watch the episode of Mad Men where Don Draper actually gets behind the bar and makes an Old Fashioned. And while you are at it, maybe drink one.

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:41 AM

• Snooth User: cufrydee

hey thanks pmosca. sazerac is my fave drinkie and yes rye whiskey all the way, I use sazerac rye or when I'm rolling in it old potrero - if I'm broke a jim beam rye is not ideal but will suffice. its tough to find anyone that can make a good one :(

Jan 20, 2012 at 6:34 AM

• Hey. How about when his daughter makes the drinks on MAD MEN?

Jan 20, 2012 at 9:48 AM

• You cant beat the Manhattan, got a bit of glamour to it!

Feb 08, 2013 at 7:50 AM

• Snooth User: JasonStone

Yep, this is one truly classic drink. And these are just some of the best cocktails ever! I just can't get enough of whiskey, that I am implementing my own cocktails and combinations, too. Gotta thank my faithful whiskey still for help with that ;)

Mar 13, 2013 at 2:07 PM