5 Tips for Becoming a Wine Expert

A scalable approach to learning more about your favorite wines.

« Prev Next » 5 of 6
Drink With Your Eyes Closed
Blind tasting. The only way this works is by tasting blind. We can't help it. We are influenced by what we see. If you want to study wine and be honest with yourself, hide the damn bottles.

Go through whatever tasting regimen you feel comfortable with. Take copious notes. Wage wild ass guesses as to what the wines might be. Do not fear being wrong. We are all wrong more often than we like to admit. This is not a competition folks. It's fun, and should be fun. Not scary or intimidating.

It can be tough to taste blind when you're in charge of the tastings so here's a tip. Buy the wine a few months in advance. remove the capsules from each bottle, then wrap each bottle in foil, number them in the order they are to be tasted, and put them away in a case. By the time you get around to tasting them you'll have forgotten most of what's in the case, and certainly the order.

Don't peak at the corks while opening the bottles!

Comments

• Snooth User: Robertwcl

page is scrambled

Feb 03, 2014 at 12:50 PM

How so? Can you let us know what you're seeing?

Feb 03, 2014 at 1:33 PM

• Snooth User: rhw168

GDP - There were probably some accidentally deleted words in the 2nd sentence of page 1, when the words "applying" and "ourselves" were concatenated, with possibly some words in between getting dropped:

"... Really applyingourselves should suffice..."

Feb 03, 2014 at 3:50 PM

• Snooth User: jonb

Nice article. Another approach for a blind tasting: In private, Person 1 uncorks bottles, wraps to hide labels, and assigns and records ID numbers (1 = Solis 2010 Zinfandel, 2 = Sarah's Vineyard 2009 Zinfandel, 3 = Kirigin 2011 Zinfandel, etc.) Person 2 (also in private) reassigns IDs by letter and records new IDs (1 = D, 2 = C; 3 = A, etc.) Person 1 will know which wines are being tasted, but not which is which; all other participants are 'blind'. This may sound complicated but in practice it's quite simple. Give it a try.
    (Extra credit: Guess where we went tasting on Superb Owl Sunday!)

Feb 03, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Thanks RHW! I've broken the runon at least.

JonB, that sounds like one of my monthly tasting group does. Sounds like you went garlic shopping!

Feb 03, 2014 at 4:15 PM

• Snooth User: rhw168

JonB - surely you tried Jason-Stephens yesterday?

Feb 03, 2014 at 4:37 PM

• Snooth User: Richard Foxall

Great stuff. I'd add, drink things you are unfamiliar with in the company of both novices and experts. First time drinking Fer, I got a preview from, well, let's say an afficionado. Definitely guided me towards what I tasted. First time I drank Ribera del Duero, just popped a bottle in the kitchen. In one case, I knew something about what to expect based on my guide and in the other, I was tasting because I was curious about the region after dipping my toes into Tempranillo and other regions of Spain. Each had value--making up my own mind or seeking out certain markers.

I'm no expert, but this advice sounds like, Drink widely and pay attention. And the best advice is the comment at the end: We all know (or should) why we like what we like. But no one really knows everything.

Feb 03, 2014 at 4:39 PM

• Snooth User: EMark

Very good article. I really am intrigued with the "Drink in a Box" idea. In addition to being instructive, it sounds like a lot of fun.

Another great take-away:

-- "This is not a competition." Amen to that. Keep repeating to yourself, Mark.

Feb 03, 2014 at 6:18 PM

• Snooth User: dvogler

I will never be a wine expert, for I don't drink white wine. So, I shall continue unabated to have fun with killer reds and laugh at my wrong guesses until it's all gone.

Feb 03, 2014 at 8:55 PM

• I would like to be able to print the article . I s there a way to do that ?

Feb 04, 2014 at 9:05 AM

Hi Cathleen,

There is no easy way to print the article, though clicking on the view as one page link makes it a lot easier.

Feb 04, 2014 at 9:12 AM

• Your approach is too costly. Its all about a developed taste. My approach has been to take what wine/grapes I like most and study those first. One of my first favorites was french cabs and merlot. I went to wine tastings, spent money on those wine from $15, $25, $45, even a $200 to taste the difference and I took jobs at fine restaurants to be able to learn/taste those french wines and I took every offers from gracious host(s) to try their expensive well made wines that darkened their cellars. i also read a lot on my grape of choice and listened to those who had the same lust for the wine that I had. I even studied the history of the regions to expand my conversations and knowledge.

Come to think of it, it's a lot like getting to know great poetry, playwrights, music and people. And you will never know what bad is unless you had the best. Lastly once your a bit burnt on "your" juice of choice try something new. The change will check what you know. My motto is: I'll try anything eight or nine times...LOL. I am told that I am an expert but I am not. I am much more a lover of fine grapes and a good listener that has great taste and a good memory. Also, I can smell really well, I don't smoke and I eat mainly a vegetarian/fish diet. It all matters.

Feb 04, 2014 at 11:54 AM

• Snooth User: cwsomm

Your approach may be costly, but it's the best approach, especially if you aren't in the "business". Have passion, have humility and get yourself out there, before you know it you will have developed a circle of like minded friends with whom you can travel the wine road in a more costly fashion! And always keep these 5 tips in mind!!!

Feb 04, 2014 at 12:42 PM

• Snooth User: mrwino

Great article and system Greg, especially for those seriously getting into wine. This would also be fantastic for those putting on a wine tasting party, or just for fun with friends. But it’s definitely a system that one could use all the time, by even more experienced wine aficionados, who could use it to remain consistent in their tasting process. Good job!

Feb 08, 2014 at 12:51 PM

• Snooth User: judgelog

Great article Gregory (as usual). One thing that I would add to this is that if you really want to improve your wine skills is to keep track of what you are drinking and what you like and what you don't like. Even if you seldom look at your notes, just the simple act of recording your impressions of a wine, or style, or grape or whatever, helps you remember. And Snooth is a great place to do that!

Feb 08, 2014 at 4:37 PM