5 Great Destinations for 2014

Dreaming of vinous visits in 2014

« Prev Restart 6 of 6
South Africa

Finally, I’m going to talk about where I want to go, but have yet to visit. No region captures my imagine like South Africa does. The wines, time and time again, really talk to me of a variety, a time and a place. They are in my wheelhouse so often that frankly I’m surprised that I have yet to visit but, it’s a big deal to head down to South Africa. A visit that deserves more than the week I can usually allocated for these sorts of things.

Still the visions of Table Mountain behind Capetown, and the gorgeous vistas of Franschhoek that I’ve seen leave me itching to go. Of course as soon as I finish my first visit to South Africa’s wine country I’ll probably be planning for my return visit, so I’d have to make round one count. Planning the winery visits would be a painstaking affair, looking to bend the new and the established. Where would I start?

Two must visit wineries:

Adi Badenhorst represents the new in South Africa, though taking advantage of great 50 year old bush trained vines. I’ve been smitten by both his white and red blends and wouldn’t miss the chance of kicking the dirt in his old vineyards.

Rust en Vrede is one of South Africa’s historic wineries, though they lack the continuity of some others their wines today are as compelling as one is able to find and highlight the beauty of South Africa’s reds based on Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Syrah.

Comments

• you forgot Slovenia :) Like Goriska Brda and other wine regions
    Best regards from sLOVEnia!

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:00 AM

• Snooth User: BCRed
    219737 2

Where is the first picture? It looks beautiful!

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:02 PM

• Snooth User: BCRed
    219737 2

Another great and beautifully scenic wine area is the Okanagan Valley. It's easier to get to than Walla Walla (I like Walla Walla as well)

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:04 PM

• What about France! Burgundy and Provence (for the Cote du Rhone wines) among other stellar destinations. If you want to have an artisanal wine tasting experience in an unspoiled place, that is world renown for its wines (and, rest assured, that's a tough combination --world reputation and unspoiled) then you really must go to some of the amazing villages in Burgundy OR you really must go off the beaten track in Provence. I highly recommend it. Having gone for many years now as part of my business, I'm still discovering "off the beaten track" places and still finding artisan producers whose pride in their production is inspiring.

Feb 24, 2014 at 2:18 PM

• Hey Greg,
    Need anybody to carry your bags?

Feb 24, 2014 at 3:24 PM

• Snooth User: Richard Foxall

I hear Piemonte in May is really nice.

Feb 24, 2014 at 4:35 PM

• Snooth User: Ellvizzle

Recently traveled across Portugal and we loved it. Yes, you can find producers of port you would recognize, you can find a countryside gem you've never heard of, and that glass of 40 year tawny while simply drinking in the rolling vineyards that surround? Hard to beat . I won't say no to a glass of vinho verde or just a simple red table wine, either--had some lovely experiences involving food and wine, both. I will say, though, we drove between Port, the Douro valley and Lisbon, and it is not for the faint of heart, in my opinion (while I am a city driver--I say defensive driver, my husband would say aggressive, I suppose-- in the States, driving in another country can be different, indeed). Certainly added color to the trip, and I'm not sure how else you'd really be able to get around the Douro region otherwise, which is a lovely part of the world.

Feb 24, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Thank you all for the kind words! It's a great topic to discuss isn't it? I wonder what else we can do with it? And that cover photo is from South Africa, a bit tarted up one would imagine, but beautiful none the less.

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:08 AM

• Snooth User: EmilyDawn

Thank you for the great mention of Gramercy Cellars , Gregory! We really appreciated you taking the time to visit us.
    Sincerely,