5 Great Destinations for 2014

Dreaming of vinous visits in 2014

« Prev Next » 5 of 6
Trentino Alto-Adige

Or should I write Sud-Tyrol? These two distinct regions, linked by politics, offer one of the most fascinating trips down memory lane that I’m aware of. Ignoring for the moment the incredible wines produced in both regions, the region is worth a visit simply for the stunning cultural, natural  and archeological treasures the contain. Travel within the joined regions is awesomely simple. Just hop a train to experience all the Gothic, Romanesque and Renaissance architecture of the region. And then there are those mountain vistas. breathtaking!

As far as wines go, the two regions are quite distinct with world famous Co-ops dominating the landscape in the Sud Tyrol, each producing myriad varieties at multiple price points. In Trentino you’ll find a few very familiar names, plus a number of smaller players struggling to establish their own identity.  Disclaimer: It’s also where my family is from.

Two must visit wineries:

I’m going to cheat and include two for each region.

Girlan in the Sud Tyrol produces the greatest expression of Schiava extant and as such is required visiting for those who want to learn about the wines of the region.

Lagrein is the great red of the Sud Tyrol and no one does it better than Muri Gries with their Abtei Riserva.

Zeni is producing some wonderfully compelling Teroldego but like Girlan also produces an obscure little wine, from Rossara, that should not be missed.

San Leonardo at the far south of Trentino sits like an island in more ways than one. Producing wines based on Bordeaux varieties, their flagship wine is a blend that  remains one of the great Bordeaux style wines produced today. Their hamlet is also stunningly beautiful.

Comments

• you forgot Slovenia :) Like Goriska Brda and other wine regions
    Best regards from sLOVEnia!

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:00 AM

• Snooth User: BCRed
    219737 2

Where is the first picture? It looks beautiful!

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:02 PM

• Snooth User: BCRed
    219737 2

Another great and beautifully scenic wine area is the Okanagan Valley. It's easier to get to than Walla Walla (I like Walla Walla as well)

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:04 PM

• What about France! Burgundy and Provence (for the Cote du Rhone wines) among other stellar destinations. If you want to have an artisanal wine tasting experience in an unspoiled place, that is world renown for its wines (and, rest assured, that's a tough combination --world reputation and unspoiled) then you really must go to some of the amazing villages in Burgundy OR you really must go off the beaten track in Provence. I highly recommend it. Having gone for many years now as part of my business, I'm still discovering "off the beaten track" places and still finding artisan producers whose pride in their production is inspiring.

Feb 24, 2014 at 2:18 PM

• Hey Greg,
    Need anybody to carry your bags?

Feb 24, 2014 at 3:24 PM

• Snooth User: Richard Foxall

I hear Piemonte in May is really nice.

Feb 24, 2014 at 4:35 PM

• Snooth User: Ellvizzle

Recently traveled across Portugal and we loved it. Yes, you can find producers of port you would recognize, you can find a countryside gem you've never heard of, and that glass of 40 year tawny while simply drinking in the rolling vineyards that surround? Hard to beat . I won't say no to a glass of vinho verde or just a simple red table wine, either--had some lovely experiences involving food and wine, both. I will say, though, we drove between Port, the Douro valley and Lisbon, and it is not for the faint of heart, in my opinion (while I am a city driver--I say defensive driver, my husband would say aggressive, I suppose-- in the States, driving in another country can be different, indeed). Certainly added color to the trip, and I'm not sure how else you'd really be able to get around the Douro region otherwise, which is a lovely part of the world.

Feb 24, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Thank you all for the kind words! It's a great topic to discuss isn't it? I wonder what else we can do with it? And that cover photo is from South Africa, a bit tarted up one would imagine, but beautiful none the less.

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:08 AM

• Snooth User: EmilyDawn

Thank you for the great mention of Gramercy Cellars , Gregory! We really appreciated you taking the time to visit us.
    Sincerely,