5 Great Destinations for 2014

Dreaming of vinous visits in 2014

« Prev Next » 4 of 6
Portugal

If you’re looking for a road less travelled, but still appreciate the finer things in life consider Portugal. A relatively small country with a wide variety of terrain that is relatively easy to navigate, Portugal remains on the fringes as a wine destination, but it’s not for lack of great wine. In fact the country offers great food, accommodations, sightseeing opportunities and cultural attractions plus a compelling range of fabulous wines, and all at very fair prices to boot!

You can fly into Port and out of Lisbon, travelling throughout the country in between and have a great week of exploring new wine regions. The distribution of Portuguese wines in the USA has been notoriously spotty, with the exception of the Port houses of course. Now that Port houses have begun to distribute their own table wines as well things are getting better, as are the wines, but there remains a lot to be discovered by paying them a visit.

Two must visit wineries:

Not a winery per se, but a Hotel with its own wine. The Buçaco Palace Hotel is a grand hotel that has seen better times but staying there gives one a taste of of how life once was.

Since we’re talking about accommodations you might also want to check out the Quinta do Vallado. A gorgeous new hotel compliments a set of fabulous wines all located at the gateway to the Douro wine region.

Comments

• you forgot Slovenia :) Like Goriska Brda and other wine regions
    Best regards from sLOVEnia!

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:00 AM

• Snooth User: BCRed
    219737 2

Where is the first picture? It looks beautiful!

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:02 PM

• Snooth User: BCRed
    219737 2

Another great and beautifully scenic wine area is the Okanagan Valley. It's easier to get to than Walla Walla (I like Walla Walla as well)

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:04 PM

• What about France! Burgundy and Provence (for the Cote du Rhone wines) among other stellar destinations. If you want to have an artisanal wine tasting experience in an unspoiled place, that is world renown for its wines (and, rest assured, that's a tough combination --world reputation and unspoiled) then you really must go to some of the amazing villages in Burgundy OR you really must go off the beaten track in Provence. I highly recommend it. Having gone for many years now as part of my business, I'm still discovering "off the beaten track" places and still finding artisan producers whose pride in their production is inspiring.

Feb 24, 2014 at 2:18 PM

• Hey Greg,
    Need anybody to carry your bags?

Feb 24, 2014 at 3:24 PM

• Snooth User: Richard Foxall

I hear Piemonte in May is really nice.

Feb 24, 2014 at 4:35 PM

• Snooth User: Ellvizzle

Recently traveled across Portugal and we loved it. Yes, you can find producers of port you would recognize, you can find a countryside gem you've never heard of, and that glass of 40 year tawny while simply drinking in the rolling vineyards that surround? Hard to beat . I won't say no to a glass of vinho verde or just a simple red table wine, either--had some lovely experiences involving food and wine, both. I will say, though, we drove between Port, the Douro valley and Lisbon, and it is not for the faint of heart, in my opinion (while I am a city driver--I say defensive driver, my husband would say aggressive, I suppose-- in the States, driving in another country can be different, indeed). Certainly added color to the trip, and I'm not sure how else you'd really be able to get around the Douro region otherwise, which is a lovely part of the world.

Feb 24, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Thank you all for the kind words! It's a great topic to discuss isn't it? I wonder what else we can do with it? And that cover photo is from South Africa, a bit tarted up one would imagine, but beautiful none the less.

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:08 AM

• Snooth User: EmilyDawn

Thank you for the great mention of Gramercy Cellars , Gregory! We really appreciated you taking the time to visit us.
    Sincerely,