5 Great Destinations for 2014

Dreaming of vinous visits in 2014

« Prev Next » 3 of 6
Tuscany

Yes, it's the most over recommended place in winedom. Yes, it's filled with wineries that have adopted a Napa-esque approach to wine tourism, but with so many people coming to visit that's probably a necessity. But let us consider why that is. Why so many people visit the Tuscan wine regions For starters it's because it's in Tuscany. A land so rich with cultural, natural, and gastronomic pleasures that wine lover and wine novice alike can have a fabulous time there. But also because it remains one of the greatest regions for wine in the world.

Packed with great offerings priced from well under $10 to well over $100 it's one wine region that holds appeal for all drinkers, and again there's that whole being in Tuscany thing. Seriously it's easy to diss Tuscany, but you'd be a fool to do so. Maybe go in the off season, the autumn is particularly gorgeous when rolling hills are tinged with the golden hued colors of fall. The wines still taste great, and the food even better than if enjoyed under the often quite strong Tuscan sun.

Two must visit wineries:

Castellare in Castellina for some of the most exciting terroir driven wines.

Montevertine in Radda for some of the purest expressions of Sangiovese.

Comments

• you forgot Slovenia :) Like Goriska Brda and other wine regions
    Best regards from sLOVEnia!

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:00 AM

• Snooth User: BCRed
    219737 2

Where is the first picture? It looks beautiful!

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:02 PM

• Snooth User: BCRed
    219737 2

Another great and beautifully scenic wine area is the Okanagan Valley. It's easier to get to than Walla Walla (I like Walla Walla as well)

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:04 PM

• What about France! Burgundy and Provence (for the Cote du Rhone wines) among other stellar destinations. If you want to have an artisanal wine tasting experience in an unspoiled place, that is world renown for its wines (and, rest assured, that's a tough combination --world reputation and unspoiled) then you really must go to some of the amazing villages in Burgundy OR you really must go off the beaten track in Provence. I highly recommend it. Having gone for many years now as part of my business, I'm still discovering "off the beaten track" places and still finding artisan producers whose pride in their production is inspiring.

Feb 24, 2014 at 2:18 PM

• Hey Greg,
    Need anybody to carry your bags?

Feb 24, 2014 at 3:24 PM

• Snooth User: Richard Foxall

I hear Piemonte in May is really nice.

Feb 24, 2014 at 4:35 PM

• Snooth User: Ellvizzle

Recently traveled across Portugal and we loved it. Yes, you can find producers of port you would recognize, you can find a countryside gem you've never heard of, and that glass of 40 year tawny while simply drinking in the rolling vineyards that surround? Hard to beat . I won't say no to a glass of vinho verde or just a simple red table wine, either--had some lovely experiences involving food and wine, both. I will say, though, we drove between Port, the Douro valley and Lisbon, and it is not for the faint of heart, in my opinion (while I am a city driver--I say defensive driver, my husband would say aggressive, I suppose-- in the States, driving in another country can be different, indeed). Certainly added color to the trip, and I'm not sure how else you'd really be able to get around the Douro region otherwise, which is a lovely part of the world.

Feb 24, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Thank you all for the kind words! It's a great topic to discuss isn't it? I wonder what else we can do with it? And that cover photo is from South Africa, a bit tarted up one would imagine, but beautiful none the less.

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:08 AM

• Snooth User: EmilyDawn

Thank you for the great mention of Gramercy Cellars , Gregory! We really appreciated you taking the time to visit us.
    Sincerely,