5 Australian Wines to Try

An Australian wine primer

« Prev Next » 4 of 7
GSM

Say what? That’s as useful as the handbrake on a Holden to most people, which is to say not very useful. What I should write is Grenache-based blends that typical feature additions of Syrah and Mourvedre, aka Rhone blends.

Grenache has a long history in Australia and was a useful (i.e. prolific) grape back in the day when Australia wine industry was dominated by the production of fortified and dessert wines. Today, there’s plenty of great Grenache to go around. Some of the varietal bottlings are awesome, and this comes from a Grenache doubter! Add in the meaty spiciness of Syrah and Mourvedre to the herb and strawberries of Grenache and you end up with a real winning combination. Add some spicy BBQ and send me an invite!

D’Arenberg The Stump Jump GSM $10

Langmeil Three Gardens GSM $18

Kaesler Stonehorse GSM $20

Photo courtesy roomjosh via Flickr/CC

Comments

• Happy Australia Day to all.
    I've been collecting and cellaring Aussi reds for many years. I beleive the best regions for quality are McLaren Vale and Barrosa. Absolutely stunning!

Rob Archibald
    Kelowna BC Canada

Jan 26, 2012 at 4:44 PM

• Australia's grenache and grenache-based wines are unbelievable. But if I had to drink just one Aussie wine, it would be shiraz for sure. Agree with Rob's post, but also the Coonawarra for cabs is spectacular, and Adelaide Hills produces some super whites (The Lane wines, for example).

Jan 26, 2012 at 5:14 PM

• Snooth User: mrsbear

Australian wineries make amazing wines in all categories. Unfortunately most of them aren't available in the US. It is unfair to judge Australia's wines just by what is available in the US as most of those wines (not all, but a lot) come from huge commercial wineries that pump out volume and not quality. Until you can take a tour of the various wine regions Australia has to offer, it is impossible to see what the country really has to offer. My favorite region is King Valley, Victoria, which has a Rich Italian heritage and specializes in varietals like Barbera, Nebbiolo, and Sangiovese. Unfortunately, no King Valley wineries import to the US :(

Jan 26, 2012 at 5:44 PM

• Snooth User: ian pool

Yes, it's like me as an Australian, judging your American wines on what I can buy at the local BWS (Supermarket)
    Australian Wine is among the best and it offers a variety that, as they say, makes the spice of life.
    I don't mind if you all give it a miss, the more for me :)
    Try a Basket Pressed Heathcote Shiraz if you need convincing.
    Cheers!!

Jan 26, 2012 at 5:56 PM

• Snooth User: Krish26

Quite agree with Rob. Tapestry from McLaren Vale is to kill for. Also, the small batch whites from Howling Wolves. Cheers, and Happy Australia Day !

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:36 AM

• Snooth User: gerrad

im assuming the wines listed are from the apparently short list of aussie wine available in the u.s.? in echo of other respondents..you are missing out on all the good stuff..in the same way that you get jacobs creek and yellowtail, we get guigal, arrogant frog etc. (french), we see almost zero u.s. wines apart from ridge and bonny doon of the top of my head. off the list, i very highly recommend the Penfolds 389, or 'baby grange' as we call it here (and pay $65 for it thanks) and the 'Isolation ridge' riesling. keep up the good work GDP.

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:05 AM

• Snooth User: Krish26

Gerrad, I am from India, not the US ! am sure the good stuff is slipping between the cracks of our import policy... Still, some of the stuff here, like an incredible Shiraz-Merlot-Cabernet from Green Point, are well worth the price ($70 at the JW Marriott, Mumbai). The Baby Grange you mentioned, I shall track, thank you very much. That puts it in the Silver Oak range. Hmm..

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:21 AM

• Snooth User: Sin Clair

I just returned from OZ less than 24 hours ago and I must say that their wines are exceptional! I spent some time in the Margaret River area (north of Perth about a 2 hour drive) where every few feet, there is a vineyard. If ever you go, Edwards Vineyard is a must and their "BCE and Tigers Tale" cabs are a must!

Jan 27, 2012 at 8:42 AM

• I've had the Stump Jump Blend on numerous occasions and agree with your assessment. But just yesterday finished off 2 bottles of Stump Jump 2008 Shiraz which was rated 90 on Wine Spectator and it was surprisingly grapey. Win some ..lose some.

Jan 29, 2012 at 2:53 PM

• Snooth User: mooremob

G'day
    Sin Clair you definetly are jet lagged or you have imbibed in good Aussie Wine, Margaret River is south of Perth.
    I worked for Penfolds many years ago so I'm I have a subjective view of Aussie wines and especially Penfolds, I could list a hugh number of Aussie wines which are exceptional but don't underestimate those cheap ones I have in all years my years of drinking Aussie wines I have only had the odd couple of bad wines so please everyone keep drinking

Feb 01, 2012 at 5:49 PM

• I found a great list of a few Australian wines to try from http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/sto... Check out their list at: http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/sto...

Aug 06, 2012 at 10:41 AM