2009 Zinfandel Tasting Notes

California's great grape success story

Next » 1 of 10
2009 Zinfandel Tasting Notes Zinfandel, it’s kind of the black sheep of the family, isn’t it? It’s the kind of grape everyone likes to disparage, yet there always seems to be some exception, or three, to that criticism.

Let’s get real. Zinfandel is California’s great grape success story. Many will argue in favor of Cabernet or Pinot Noir, but the truth is that both of those grapes can do as well, if not better, elsewhere. No one does Zinfandel like California does Zinfandel, and the climate throughout the state is better suited to producing the bold, lusty Zinfandel than either Cabernet or Pinot Noir.

Yes, them there’s fighting words, I know. But what can I say, great Zin is not only a better value than great California Cabernet of Pinot Noir, it’s also easier to come by. The number of regions suited for Zinfandel dwarfs the amount of regions that make world class Pinot or Cabernet.

What’s not to like? The rich bramble, black cherry and spice flavors? The ability for Zin to absorb oak? I especially like American oak with my Zin. I’m going to jump right into more Zinfandel with a list of my favorite producers, but for today, here are some recently tasted wines that you should be buying!

Photo courtesy juanlondres2 via Flickr/CC

Comments

• Snooth User: David6FL

I, for one, have always liked the big, big Zinfandel's of the late 1970's especially the ones from Amador County. After the white Zin debacle ended the really big Zinfandels, I have been looking for one. I will have to find a seller for this one.

Jan 10, 2012 at 1:12 PM

• Snooth User: rkolsen

It would appear a number of your wines are not available .............????

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:18 PM

• Snooth User: Stevern86

I too like the big burly Zins of the late 70's. I think the style has changed over the years as winemakers have "advanced" technology and tamed this varietal. That being said, Amador county's C.G. Di Arie is one of my favorites. Try Lake county's Brassfield Monte Sereno Zin 2004. They have a new winemaker as of the 2009 vintage. I haven't had the newer vintage but the 04 is very nice with a little edge. Don't forget Paso for zin. They have gone hog wild into the Rhone blends but zin is their heritage. Try Rotta Giubinni vineyard, and any of their next door neighbors Zins from Turley.

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:45 PM

• Snooth User: aggies77

I am partial to the Decoy Zin. Another favorite is Joel Gott.

Jan 10, 2012 at 4:24 PM

• Snooth User: ted m

Interesting that this review of a grape which is not that common in Australia should be made as I find a really great Aussi Zinfandel. I have been very impressed with a 2008 wine from Rusticana at Langhorne Creek in South australia.

Jan 10, 2012 at 5:00 PM

• Snooth User: Cariedaway

OK, I applaud your choices, especially the Sonoma County zins, with which I'm familiar. However, how about some kudos to the great zins of Amador County?? (Disclaimer: I work for Renwood Winery and we make some TREMENDOUS great zins!). Would love to see how you rate our stuff!

Jan 10, 2012 at 5:47 PM

• Snooth User: WineCarte

How can you neglect to mention Rafanelli and Ridge zins? And from Paso Robles, Nadeau zins?

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:13 AM

• I'd put the 2007 Columbia Crest Reserve Zin up against any of these. Yes, the same Washington State winery that won 2009 Wine Spectator's wine of the year with their 2005 reserve cab. The 07 zin is fantastic and goes for around $21. Sure, California is zin capital of the U.S., but I think you'd find the CC would compete with most any in that price range.

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:59 PM

• Snooth User: marcrauch

Since its 2004 vintage, Rombauer Zin has been my benchmark, regardless of whether the grapes were from Amador or the Napa area, or both. While 2004 was also a great zin vintage for others, such as Norman's Monster, Derose, Earthquake and St. Amant; none of them have retained the same great taste in subsequent vintages (St. Amant's Mohr Fry Zin is probably the closest). Because St. Amant's Mohr Fry is about half the price of Rombauer, that's a big consideration.

Sobon's zins have been okay, but their Primativo Reserve is very close to Rombauer. 2008 was great and 2009 has been the same.

Clearly, I like the big fruity zins. My problem with most of the others written about in these pages is that they try too hard to be like a Cabernet. To me, if you want a Cab taste, or a Syrah taste, or a Pinot Noir taste, then you should drink those wines. But if you want a distinctive zin taste then you should go for a distinctive zin.

Feb 11, 2012 at 9:56 AM