10 Top Value Rieslings

A variety of quality Rieslings at value prices

« Prev Next » 6 of 12
2011 Georg Albrecht Schneider Riesling Niersteiner Paterberg Kabinett Rheinhessen 10% $15

Deep and ripe on the nose with lovely, lifted wildflower perfumes over hints of currant and apple fruit. Fairly sweet and powerful for a Kabinett, this shows off slight flashes of red fruit along with apricot flavors, all topped with lime and quartzy mineral flavors. Some orange notes show up on the back end and are joined by pithy citrus notes on the fairly long and fairly sweet finish, which shows a touch of that red berry fruit again. For lovers of sweeter wines. 87pts

Find it here

Top 10 Value Rieslings

Balthasar Ress Riesling Trocken Von Unserm (2010)
List It
Nxnw Horse Heaven Hills Riesling Washington (2011)
List It
Chateau Grand Traverse Riesling Old Mission Peninsula Semi-Dry (2011)
List It
Freie Weingärtner Wachau Domäne Wachau Riesling Smaragd Loibenberg (2011)
List It
Georg Albrecht Schneider Riesling Spätlese Niersteiner Hipping (2011)
List It
Heinz Eifel Riesling Auslese (2011)
List It
Dr. H. Thanisch Estate Riesling Qba (2011)
List It
Dr. Fischer Ockfener Bockstein Riesling Qba (2011)
List It
Joel Gott Riesling Washington (2011)
List It
10.
Sawtooth Riesling Late Harvest Snake River Valley Idaho (2010)
List It

Comments

• Snooth User: Al Faison
    196612 155

Really surprised to see the subject of today's post. After spending a week in "The Valley of Zin", Sonoma Valley, all you can come up with is where to get a good burger? Really, Greg, to us Zin lovers, that's quite an insult. Any future Zin articles in the plan?

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:23 PM

• Snooth User: Mark Suss

I'm surprised a finger lakes riesling didn't make it on the list but love to see the Michigan and Idaho on the list. I've never had a wine from either state but now I'm going to seek them out.

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:57 PM

H iAl,

Still working on my list of dozens of Zin tasting notes. patience please, you'll have them next week!

Hi Mark,

I'll be tasting NY rieslings later in the year, tough to taste wines from everywhere all at once!

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:12 PM

• Snooth User: Al Faison
    196612 155

Wow, was that a fast response! Thanks for the heads up. I'll gladly wait for your comments as I have found your reviews very helpful. And what you think of one of my favorite Zin producing areas (and hopefully my favorite producer, Joel Peterson at Ravenswood) will be well worth the wait. Thanks for the kind attention to my comment!

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:23 PM

• Snooth User: steve666

I find the strong petrol aroma of some rieslings off putting, particularly in some TBA. I like most rieslings, in fact it is my preferred white wine (whites constitute less than 1% of my consumption of wine).

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:29 PM

• Snooth User: lakenvelder

Looks like I will have to be disappointed with trying any of these wines. I do not see any in the approved import list for Kansas.

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:37 PM

• Snooth User: Zuiko

Riesling has been my favorite grape for the past several decades. I love the west coast versions and those from Germany, even though they are quite different. The best I've had from CA, WA and OR were the later harvested ones, showing complexity, depth of extract and body. The earlier harvested wines had trouble matching Germany's mineral, fruit, acid balance and overall quality. Many years ago, Chateau Ste Jean had a few Belle Terre and Robert Young vineyard late harvest Rieslings that gave Germany fits. But it wasn't just Ch. Ste Jean that was making great LH Rieslings, Wente had their handwritten label Arroyo Seco LH wines. Navarro had some really great LH wines as well. There have been very few dry Rieslings that I've tasted over the years from any country that could match the quality of west coast late harvest Rieslings or German Kabinett/Spatlese wines.

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:30 PM

• Snooth User: steve666

Trader Joe's has a late harvest wine from Germany in 375 bottle that I just love. It is made from the Ortega grape which is very similar to Riesling but it doesn't have the petrol characteristics. The best year was 2004, but the 2005 and 2006 are pretty good. It has oscillated in price over the last 5+/- years between 15 and 25usd, it is now 15. If it wasn't so much sugar, I would drink it all the time. It is luscious. The name is something like Anselmann.

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:57 PM

• How can you compare riesling wines, and not include any from Canada; especially the Niagara Areas including the Beamsville Bench? Riesling is my "go to" white wine that I prefer over most Chardonnays.

Mar 13, 2013 at 4:48 PM

• Greg u really missed out on alsacian riesling...zind humbrecht, Marcel deiss, weinbach. The unspoken Kings Of riesling...

Best regards from sweden

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:36 AM

• On slide #5 (Wachau) there is an image of Gruener Veltliner bottle rather than Riesling! :-)

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:06 PM