10 Secrets of Barbera

Shedding light on an Italian classic

Next » 1 of 11
10 Secrets of Barbera Barbera is known for its dark color, bright acidity and soft tannins.

Due to the balance of acid and tannins, Barbera has done well in warmer climates and can benefit from some time on barriques -- even new ones!

California has had some good success with Barbera, but this is coming from a guy who has said Petit Sirah is what California does best (tongue-in-cheek/foot-in-mouth).

Comments

• Snooth User: Rich102

I drank a fair amount of Louis M. Martini Barbera back in the '70s. It was an interesting wine, showing some distinct stages of aging. When fairly new, it was bright and fruity and very drinkable. It then went through two or three years of awkwardness during which time it coated the inside of the bottle and wasn't very good to drink. After about five years of age, it mellowed out nicely and made me wish I'd bought more when it was available. (I drank several bottles of the '69 in '75.)

Unfortunately Martini seemed to get away from Barbera and more recently I haven't found any Barberas that would age that way.

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:48 PM

• Snooth User: Mark Angelillo
    Founding Member Hand of Snooth Voice of Snooth

Great overview of Barbera, Greg. Mostly I've been reaching for the Sangiovese since my trip to Tuscany but I remember quite enjoying the Palmina Barbera.

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:36 PM

• Snooth User: ohhawk
    208699 1

We discovered a nice California Barbera wine at the Boeger Winery a couple years ago while venturing out one day after attending a wedding in Lake Tahoe.......our first experience with Barbera. We've enjoyed this particular one often.

Mar 16, 2011 at 3:11 PM

• Snooth User: dalalchemy

Had Marcarini Barbera "Ciabot Camerano" 2007 paired with spinach flan with parmigiano cream and duck confit at a special menu at Alba, http://www.albaboulder.com/, in Boulder, CO. Dreamy.

Mar 16, 2011 at 5:05 PM

• Just general feedback here - kind of a pain to have to look/click on 10 different pages just to see 10 short little blurbs. I think there's a better way to lay out all 10 "secrets".

Mar 16, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Yes, that would be what the View as one page button's for. I know it's not terribly obvious, but it's there basically under the slide on the far right of the guide under the slides.

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:13 PM

• Ah! I was wondering if I had missed something... I looked but, I obviously missed that. Thank you!!

Mar 16, 2011 at 7:13 PM

• Snooth User: Seabrooker

You noted Renwood Barbera - there are other Barberas from Amador, Calaveras and El Dorado counties that are fabulous. We buy Jeff Runquist's, Wilderotter and Fairplay - we've never been disappointed.

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:06 PM

• The Lodi area in California is coming out with some surprisingly nice Barbera's as well.

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:41 PM

• Snooth User: brando1

I use it for cooking. Amazing results!

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:00 PM

• Snooth User: luvnywine

I heard Three Brothers Wineries and Estates, Seneca Lake NY is bottling their first harvest of Barbera this year- can't wait!!

Mar 18, 2011 at 8:37 AM