10 Awesome Wine Labels

Interesting designs sure to catch any eye

« Prev Next » 2 of 12
Bear Flag Wine

Bear Flag Wine from California had their labels designed by artist and illustrator Eduardo Bertone. Judging by his portfolio, it seems they gave him creative freedom to design their labels. The result is what you'd expect, a work of art.

Photo courtesy TheDieline

Comments

• Snooth User: Mark Angelillo
    Founding Member Hand of Snooth Voice of Snooth

That Tierra Earth bottle is cool. Never saw a package with its own terroir before. Hah.

Oct 25, 2011 at 11:33 AM

• Snooth User: heathbodell

I LOVE the BYO bottle concept. What a great gift! I'm going to remember this one for my next dinner party.

Oct 25, 2011 at 12:29 PM

• Snooth User: Bobbles

As a designer, may I say, that the design on the outside should be indicative of what's on the inside. While the Tierra Earth bottle is unique, I would hate to find that the wine tasted of dirt and nothing else.

Oct 25, 2011 at 12:35 PM

• Snooth User: Chris Carpita

It's possible that it would taste of dirt (earthiness ain't so bad), but I think there's generally a high correlation between design and product quality. If a winery is putting a big effort into it's labels, they're probably not skimping on closures, grape sorting, etc. It's not a guarantee, but it's a fairly good quality indicator in my experience, though not the best quality indicator of course - better to have a real review from a trusted source, and the only way to know for sure is to taste it yourself.

Oct 25, 2011 at 1:05 PM

• Snooth User: Bobbles

Chris,
    Actually I like the taste of a little gravel and funkiness in my wine... after all, my preference is still old world styles. I do agree with you that a producer who is willing to spend a little more on product and closures will often spend a little more on label design to try and make his wine stand out on the shelf. I can't quite get past the label as an indicator of what's in the bottle. I think we should open a bottle and test the quality!

Oct 25, 2011 at 2:11 PM

• www.BANKNOTEWINES.com

I had a lot of fun designing these labels..........

Actual banknotes from the Civil War era, and each bottle in a case has a different label.

Oct 25, 2011 at 2:15 PM

• Snooth User: Bobbles

Pete,
    What a great idea and execution on The Vault labels. Money on the outside indicates quality and value on the inside. I just produced my first wine (a small group effort). The winery in Bordeaux (Chateau Cantinot) sent me the blending wines and we held a extensive blending session, eventually selecting my cuvee. We named the wine, a 2009 Premier Cotes de Blaye, "Notre Premier Cuvee"... meaning our first blend. It has matured in barrique, been bottled and is on its way here. The consulting winemaker - French winemaker of the year in 2005 said "it has power but with great finesse." After it arrives maybe we should exchange a bottle of "The Vault" for a bottle of "Notre Premier Cuvee."
    To continue the conversation, please write to rsscott1@mac.com

Oct 25, 2011 at 2:54 PM

• Snooth User: Felis21

Nice. My sister and I had a discussion on this the other day, http://twosisterswinetripping.com/2... and though she felt bad for being a label drinker we agreed that we all do it. Love the labels of Aussie brand Alpha Box&Dice, btw.

Oct 25, 2011 at 4:32 PM

• Wonderful and some of them really original designs, the Earth bottle is really surprising, here i sugest two bottles designed by David Delfín for bodegas Sonsierra, one like a perfume bottle the other like a medicine bottle: http://www.sonsierra.com/tienda/pop...

Oct 26, 2011 at 3:43 PM

• Snooth User: dreamblue

ggggggg

Nov 24, 2011 at 1:44 AM

• Snooth User: dreamblue

Nov 24, 2011 at 1:44 AM

• Snooth User: grapewine1961

Awesome designs...

Nov 27, 2011 at 12:25 PM

• Snooth User: ps

Some of these are great! The label actually matters a lot when I choose a wine - I know it shouldn't. Similarly, the atmosphere of a restaurant is as much a consideration as the food! It's about the full package.

Jun 27, 2012 at 7:53 AM

• Snooth User: TL1053

Catching up with Snooth....some great labels and bottles here, We had some wine in Arizona....not terrible....and the labels were quite interesting, the winery is Bitter Creek Winery. We brought home the empties.

Aug 05, 2012 at 7:09 PM